Chinese-Forums

Twins

Ailuo

孪生 and 双胞胎 have got the same meaning. But with 孪生,we used to say : 孪生兄弟 (twin brothers),孪生姐妹 (twin sisters)。

If the twins are one girl and one boy, we can precise by saying : 龙凤胎。

@Lu : I think you are right. I prefer saying "他们是双胞胎" to 他们是孪生兄弟or 姐妹 。 The latter is more complicated than the former in oral conversation.

孪生 "luán shēng" is somehow not easy to prononce or to be understood even for native chinese speakers。

Thanks. That makes sense, I came across it reading and had to look it up because I am used to hearing 双胞胎。Then I thought maybe it was for identical twins or something. I can certainly see where 双胞胎 rolls of the tongue easier. 

他们是双胞胎/双生/孪生。- > They could be identical or non-identical twins. (2 boys or 2 girls or 1 boy + 1 girl)

他们是同卵 (tóng luǎn : monozygotic)  双胞胎/双生/孪生 -> They are identical twins. (2 boys or 2 girls)

他们是异卵 (yì luǎn: dizygotic)  双胞胎/双生/孪生 -> They are non-identical twins. (2 boys or 2 girls or 1 boy + 1 girl)

他们是龙凤胎 -> They are different sex twins (and of course non-identical )。(1 boy + 1 girl)