Chinese-Forums

Firecrackers: because we all love them

Manuel

What do you think about firecrackers?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's your reaction to firecracker noise?

• I enjoy it
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I find it irritating
    • I hate it and it makes my blood boil

Especially at 6:30 A.M. for 24 minutes.since I was awaken.

The typical fireworks routine lasts between 2-3 minutes, which I can tolerate with some difficulty. Moreover, a colourful evening fireworks display (as opposed to just plain mindless racket) can be fun to watch with earplugs on. But half an hour of early morning fireworks... it's like being told a bad joke 30 times in a row. It's just boring and annoying.

Maybe this is just me, but during the time that fireworks are going off my brain cannot do anything else, so you can imagine how thrilled I am when the high-IQ crowd do their firecracker loveliness.

I especially appreciate foreigners who light firecrackers in China: it's nice to see how some of us strive to integrate and pick up the best of Chinese culture.

Some will argue fireworks are an important aspect of Chinese tradition, but so was bullfighting in Spain and it's already been banned in some parts of the country. So what do you lot think?

My two cats aren't amused either, so we can safely assume that all cats dislike fireworks, and extend the assumption to all other living creatures that are not deaf, which somehow makes me think that humans don't actually derives pleasure from the sound of firecrackers but pretends to because it is politically correct. Also it's worth noting that loud noises cause small amounts of permanent hearing loss. So what is it you specifically love about the noise of firecrackers?

I'd go as far as saying I hate it, but that wasn't an option. 

I was too woken up at 6am. I don't know if it was because it was so early but it seemed especially loud.

Normally loud firecrackers in the daytime are irritating but bearable, but at 6 A.M in the morning!? I wouldn't generally expect them to be considerate for others but they must have woken up the whole district!

It is worse if they are doing it inside your own compound and things are exploding next to your balcony... 

When I first arrived In China I kept thinking – why is the sky exploding? It just turns out it is a way for people to express themselves...

Some will argue fireworks are an important aspect of Chinese tradition, but so was bullfighting in Spain and it's already been banned in some parts of the country. So what do you lot think?

I don't think that's really fair. Bullfighting was banned in some parts because it's needlessly cruel and bloody. I mean, continuing along that strand of logic, female genital mutilation is also a "tradition" in some parts of the world, yet it's banned almost everywhere. Doesn't make it remotely analogous to either bullfighting or setting off firecrackers. Not all traditions-that-I-don't-like are equivalent.

As for setting off firecrackers, I find it irritating, but I can deal with it. I like nighttime firework displays, but I don't really see the appeal when you don't get the visual element.

• Like 1

Today's firecracker/firework is a really a distortion of the tradition.

It used to be that firecrackers and fireworks were reserved for Chinese New Year Day (just one day, and not 24-hour around the clock for three weeks) and other very special occasions.

Firecrackers (and especially fireworks) usually be relative expensive compared to people's income and so were reserved for special occasions. But now people are a lot more wealthy and could afford to buy enough firecrackers to make their neighborhood sound like a war zone.

A relative benign tradition has been warped by money, gluttony, and utter disregard for one's neighbors.

I find firecrackers irritating for a number of reasons.

First, they cause too much loud noise at weddings, funerals, and on many other occasions. I hate them especially when I need to talk to someone but have to do that at the top of my voice just because of them.

Second, the pungent smell they give off when they explode repels me and they leave a mess behind them, i.e. those explosive-torn pieces of paper.

Third, they are potentially dangerous.

Fourth, they are a waste of money.

Nonetheless, I have no objection if they are reserved for the eve of the New Year only.

To choose a different analogy, imagine your neighbours playing very loud music. Why should you listen to their stuff? I am sure they think it's great music but they are invading the personal private space of those around them. And even if they are playing a track you really like, perhaps you are on the phone or enjoying a film and you'd rather they turned it down.

Likewise, the guy setting the fireworks will be having a blast of a time, while everybody else who is not invited to the party will be cursing his entire family. Of course, if I was outside having a barbecue with my mates and playing music, I'd probably not mind the firework noise much, but statistically it is impossible that out of the 1000 people that will hear the noise not one of them doesn't mind the noise at that particular moment, therefore someone's bound to be annoyed.

Being Chinese, I dislike firecrackers too. I do think we should abandon the tradition.

Edit: Of course, this whole thing is not about likes or dislikes. The problem is, as Manuel said, when you set off firecrackers you are invading the personal private space of others.

As someone who grew up in a country where fireworks and firecrackers are illegal for personal use, I have to say that I love fireworks.  Yeah, the noise can be a bit annoying, but it sure is fun when you're the person letting them off :mrgreen:

• Like 3

I think cats mainly pick up on the stress reaction of their owners. Seriously - they don't have verbal communication, so of course all their other means of communication are better developed than ours.

Of course, there will be cats who genuinely dislike firecrackers too - like it seems Shelley's :) My cat has no issues with firecrackers, thunder and sorts, and I guess it's because I don't.

But of course, there is no excuse for making noise at 6 in the morning!

She seemed irritated but not to the point that she would run away and hide. Then I got her a buddy - Ruben as in my user name - and he was scared of the vacuum cleaner. So they enjoyed being scared and running away together. Kids! But since he is no more :'( she went back to just being irritated at it.

I agree that some people project their fears on to their animals, I don't feel I have done this to my animals because I have had 1 dog and 19 cats throughout my life ( only 6 cats now :)  ) and they all behave/behaved very differently with fireworks, thunder, vacuum cleaners etc.

My dog didn't mind it at all but he would leave the room when I vacuumed, but I didn't blame him, its not only the noise but the disturbance to furniture etc.

As roddy says , it doesn't help when it goes on for weeks either side of the event, if it is only one night you can take precautions and keep cats in and safe.