Chinese-Forums

Anyone been on Chinese TV?

Manuel

My university put me forward for a talent show on Jiangsu TV. My first reaction was to refuse, because I am terrified of audiences and cameras, and the last thing I want is to make an ass of myself for everyone to see. However, provided I do ok, this could be good press for the university so I reluctantly accepted, as a favour to them.

Next, I recorded a short self-introduction video and emailed it off with a couple of photos, thinking they wouldn't be even remotely interested, but two days ago they rang me up and told me I had been picked, definitely not based on looks, so I am wondering if anyone here has appeared on Chinese TV, and what are the potential pros/cons.

What's your talent? If you're hoping to get work as a performer of some sort then a talent show would be a way to advertise yourself. Otherwise I don't see the point of it.

I wouldn't worry about the university. Good press for the university will come if it produces graduates, and attracts staff, who produce groundbreaking academic work or who are successful, prominent public figures in business and politics. It won't come from talent shows.

I was an extra in a tv drama once, 啼笑姻緣. Brought to Tianjin together with a few fellow foreign students, I was given a pink dress to wear and we sat in a cafe-like place being background to the dramatic conversation that played out between the main characters. I saw a very 帥 Chinese guy come in, turned out he was the star: Hu Bing. There is a picture of Hu Bing, the other foreigners and myself (in the pink dress) somewhere, but this was in an age before digital cameras and I never got that picture.

And I was on Taiwanese tv twice. Once I was ambushed by a tv crew in the metro and asked if the English on a certain sign wasn't wrong (it was). Made the news. The other time it was on a talkshow produced by a friend, that evening they discussed why Taiwanese scored badly on international English tests. I don't think I did so great on that one, but it was nice to get the opportunity.

OP: there is no requirement for you to do this, so if you're uncomfortable in any way and there is no advantage to yourself, you can absolutely back out. Their show is not your problem. If you decide to do it, I suggest you ask for pay. Serious pay. And definitely ask for someone (a teacher) to help you prepare, so that you don't make an ass of yourself. They (the show, the uni) will try to pressure you to decline pay and tell you you don't need preparation or training in Chinese and in whatever your talent is; unless you really want to be on this show, don't relent and just threaten to walk away.

I've been on twice for short interviews in English, another friend was the subject of a report on foreigners buying a house in our city and my other friend has done several spots for our English news in our city (it's a actually an English "learning" spot but they do "news"). Also, I've been asked to anchor that particular program.

None of that is the same as what you are facing (all small local stations, all "news") but in general, I think if you do this, there will be a bit of hype for a week, maybe a month and then only your friends will remember it (because they'll harass you about it). In regard to the Uni, it won't help them necessarily but you'll help yourself be liked by them.

If you're bored and have nothing else to do, it could be fun. But just make the choice for yourself, it's not that big of a deal. Once our Uni asked us to perform a song for some event on our own school grounds (not tv) and that or some reason was a big deal for them and we couldn't just say no. In your case, I can't see them really putting up a huge case if you say no.

All good opinions. I play wind instruments and also ride trials, that's what I put in the video. They were more interested in the wind instruments though, hopefully they won't expect me to do both at the same time.

2013-11-01-121353%20Trials.png

I contacted someone who did it two years ago and apparently it was a lot of hassle, so I might pull out.

• 1 month later...

They actually contacted me through my school, I didn't actively try to contact them (but of course you could). BTW, in the end I didn't do it because it was BS, basically they wanted me to pretend I was playing a musical instrument I can't play, just because I can play other similar-looking instruments. I told them to find someone else who could actually do what they need, so that there was no need to lie. It wasn't an opportunity for people to display their talents; they just needed some foreign faces, and that sort of thing I don't do.

• Like 1

So if you want to be on a Chinese TV show, what do you do?

Back in my day, there were a few agents always hanging around at BLCU, and you could just approach them and they'd call you if they needed you. That's probably a better route than emailing CCTV. If you don't know anyone who's ever been on tv and can introduce you to either the channel or the agent, perhaps see if you can find a modeling/acting agency and register yourself.

If you are in China, can speak good Chinese and you have a witty sense of humour or some sort of unique talent I think it's pretty easy getting on TV, although in retrospect you may think it was not such a wise idea, especially if you end up on one of those tacky bollocks shows.

Most TV appearances are essentially futile attempts at celebrity, and from the start I had doubts about the whole thing, since I have no desire to be a celebrity (if I ever were famous I'd probably wear a mask like Daft Punk). It would have been a great story to tell my mates though.

I've been in two movies already (as an extra), been featured in marketing literature for two companies and been contacted for countless other things that I turned down. All of these were paid (some very generously), but you won't get paid for appearing on a TV show because being on TV is supposed to be its own reward.