Chinese-Forums

Contact lenses for far-sightedness in China

Skunq

Hi

I recently got my eyes checked and had to get new glasses with different strength. I got my eyes examined at TongRen hospital, but as I afterwards went to a nearby department where they sell glasses and contact lenses to get a contact lens prescription I was simply told they would only help if I bought something there. Otherwise they told me I would have to pay the small sum of only 2-3000 RMB for them to do a 10-minute check and write me a prescription. In other words, they did what they could to avoid helping me.

A few days later I bought my glasses at the big BaoDao Optial Store, but when I went to the contact lenses department there I was told that they couldn't help me with a contact lenses prescription as I am far-sighted and this is very rare in China so apparently they didn't know enough about far-sightedness to help me.

If anyone knows a place where they can do contact lenses prescriptions for people with far-sightedness (hyperopia) I would really like to know. I order my contact lenses from Hong Kong so I would just like to pay for someone to check my eyes and give me a prescription so I am sure which contact lenses to order.

Would be much appreciated, thank you! :)

Edited by Skunq
  • Like 1

Woops, I mixed the terms up. That is actually near-sightedness *facepalm*. Hyperopia is far-sightnedness.

Of course I expect to pay a fee to get a prescription telling me a surreal price like 2-3000 RMB is just plain rude. This has happened to me a few times in China though when they didn't want to help me.

I suppose it isn't possible to edit a topic title? 

Title edited. 

The ophthalmological-industrial complex will send a hitman after me for saying this, but I've had perfectly good results with ordering contacts online (from the UK) based on my glasses prescription and guessing on the missing information. I'm short-sighted though, and not too badly. I'd take a punt on guessing what it'll be based on your old contacts prescription and your new glasses one?

Am maybe being a bit cavalier about this though...

Thanks for editing the title for me.

As this has to do with my vision I don't want to make guesses. I do know the base curve, diameter etc. but I cannot know whether the power should be the same as my glasses or a little different.

I managed to find some more information on glasses power vs. contacts power and it turns out that the power on the contacts is only different if the power is more than +4.00/-4.00. As I already know BC and DIA I should be good to just order contacts with same power as my glasses. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I had hard contact lenses before but lost one, and the best solution I could think of was to get soft contacts. I emailed my optometrician back in Holland to ask for his advice, he told me strength, curve, size, everything. I got the contacts at Lenscrafters, no extra fee. So if you have a trusted optometrician back home, and your eyes have not gone worse (or better), you could try that.

• Like 1

Kudos to all you who can wear contacts in Beijing air :shock:

Hard contacts were an issue, stuff kept flying into my eyes and making me tear up, but soft contacts were fine actually. A colleague of mine had a special kind of lenses, something with gel or sth? He said those were even better.

icebear, that site is also mainland China it seems. Until now I haven't found a mainland company selling contact lenses with + power.

skylee, I contacted some of the hospitals some time ago, but it's mad pricey to have your eyes examined by a foreign doctor.

As earlier mentioned the problem is already solved. :)