Chinese-Forums

Great Expectations...

Springbokke

Is it too much to expect to be able to simply arrive in China (where ever that may be), get into whichever school, starting Mandarin from scratch (not knowing more than two words), and progressing quickly (assuming you are prepared to work), to say a HSk level 8 in 2 years?

Is it preferable to get a grounding in the language in your own country before going to China?

PLease help, my brain is becoming jelly..... :wall

Thanks

I got to level 7 in about 3 years, and that was while teaching, not studying full time. I wasn’t even that conscientious studying in my free time. I think level 8 in two years for a full time student should be perfectly achievable. Probably the biggest factor is your own motivation and study skills.

This topic will be helpful

http://www.chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4242

Thanks Roddy

I seemed to have missed that thread! I notice though that nobody mentioned HSK levels as an indication of "fluency" - is this because it purely an academic proficiency test?

Thanks again.

I’m sure there are a whole load of different opinions on where the HSK levels fit into fluency. An 8 is classed as upper-int, which I guess you couldn’t really call fluent, but if you made sure your spoken Chinese kept up with your other skills as you studied for the HSK (the HSK fails to test oral skills at all until advanced level) then you’d certainly be well on your way to ‘fluent’.