Chinese-Forums

Work Visa to Student/Tourist Visa?

geometry

After working for half a year, I'm thinking of studying in China and working part time. My school said that in order to get a student visa, I need to leave the country and first get a tourist visa. After that, they can convert it to a student visa once the semester starts.

Basically I've read varying information about whether or not it's actually necessary to leave the country for this type of conversion. Is it possible to apply for a tourist or student visa through the local Public Security Bureau?

If not, I'm going to (Osaka) Japan for 10 days in January so I'm thinking perhaps I can do it there. Would 10 days be enough time? Also, Osaka doesn't have an embassy - just a consulate. Does that make any difference when applying?

Perhaps it should be noted that I'm American. Any help is much appreciated!

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/42570-changing-from-a-working-residence-permit-to-a-student-visa/

If you haven't already converted a visa on this trip (e.g you arrived on an L then converted it to a work visa) then you should be able to convert it but who can say for sure in China.

If its the school you wish to study at who say they cannot convert and you need to leave... Then perhaps you have no choice. If you do need to leave, just go to Hong Kong. I switched my visa there,

I read that thread but it still seems a bit unclear. Thank you though!

I arrived on a Z visa so it seems it shouldn't be a problem to convert it to tourist or student...potentially?

The school can convert from tourist to student but apparently not work to student. I'm not quite sure why this is but I suppose I could ask for more information. Where would I go to convert it to a tourist one? The Entry/Exit Bureau, or is this something only the school could do for me?

You need the school to do it OR at least you need documents from the school...

Also consider the school might just not want to transfer your visa. The cheapest and easiest option for them is probably to have you leave China and come back on an L visa. As a result, when they say "can't" they just mean...don't want to.

I would just go to HK and make a trip of it. You can be in and out in 2 days if you time it right.

I don't mind going to HK, it's just that it's an extra financial burden when considering I'm already planning on leaving the country (Japan).

Assuming I'll have to go, one more question...how can I get a tourist visa since it requires a return plane ticket/itinerary/hotel reservations? I'll have none of these. :cry:

• 8 months later...