Chinese-Forums

Accommodations Beijing Language Culture University

gorae

Does anyone have suggestions for accommadations for summer housing at Beijing Language Culture University? To save funds, I am applying on my own, I mailed the application yesterday and payed the $50 fee by Bank TT. Supposedly there will be a 2 month wait till they send visa app and I am not sure how I am to pay for summer class. (perhaps another Bank TT or in person when I arrive). But I would like to stay at Conference Centre Hotel on campus or Xi Jiao hotel if I can get the 30 day rate. Xi Jiao "public" email is bouncing and I haven't a clue how to get ahold of Conference Centre "Hotel" on campus. Any suggestions??

Hi again...

Tuition is not paid until you arrive - it's paid as a part of the registration process... And they will probably reply to your application quite rapidly as I wrote earlier... I don't know about the accommodation situation since I'm living in an apartment with two other guys...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I'm going to BLCU this summer... as any other student i'm on a limited budget... would really appreciate if anyone could suggest if staying at the dorms is cheaper than sharing an apartment with other people? if it's the apartment, anyone knows how to find flatmates?

:conf

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
if it's the apartment, anyone knows how to find flatmates?

You'd probably be better off not worrying about it until you arrive. Plan on staying in a youth hostel for a few days until you can find roomates. You will find postings on bulletin boards for people that are seeking roomates--assuming you don't run into someone in person that is looking. You can actually rent a private apartment for what BLCU charges for a shared dorm. Definitely don't waste your money.

Dear gorae,

The contact information for the dormitory office is on the "Notes to New Students" page that you get in the mail with your acceptance packet. I believe that you contact them whether you wish to stay in a dorm room (which I've heard are nasty), or if you want to stay at the Conference Centre Hotel. Hope this helps!

Also, I received my acceptance letters *exactly* 3 weeks after I mailed them to BLCU.. so it was a pretty fast turnaround! I mailed my application to them via Global Priority Mail which cost about US$9.. so maybe they got it fast and that's why I received a reply so quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I applied on my own, and did receive a response from BCLU almost a month later, and yes I did use Global Priority Mail. I called Conference Center Hotel today (it was very easy and straightforward) and was told by a very friendly english speaking lady that there is a big group coming in and it is full ( July ). About two weeks ago I also placed an ad in "Thats Beijing" and got several replies, a couple of which sounded great *BUT* and this is a big BUT, even though they were willing to rent short term ..I am not in Beijing, yet, and it is first come, first served...so I am still looking for a place for the month of July, I tried calling the cell phone of one of the responders, but while I had no problem reaching a land line with my calling card, apparently it does not work with cell phones. Anyone headed to Beijing for July and looking for a short term flat mate or looking for a person to sublet for July only please let me know!!

Well I found out something intersting about using a calling card to phone China. I had to dial 011 86 10 for the land line, but NOT include the 10 (which is the city code for Beijing) when I called a cell. I called one of responders to my ad in Thats Beijing..hey it does hurt to keep trying to get what you want.