Chinese-Forums

Magazine subscriptions in China

Craig

I was wondering about getting certain magazines in china, if they are allowed, and if anyone there has seen them. I know the companies will send them internationally but I am not sure if they will be allowed into the country. The magazines are Maxim www.maximonline.com , Foreign Affairs http://www.foreignaffairs.org/ , and The Economist http://www.economist.com/ . Could someone in china check and see if the websites can be viewed (as you can access the full magazine from the website). Also are there any magazine which you can’t get delivered?

I don't think there's anything which is just banned full stop, and in my experience (admittedly some years ago) magazines sent through the post fared better than those imported for sale in hotels / bookstores, as they bypassed the official publications route and went postal, as it were.

You may lose an issue here or there if there's a cover story they don't like, but I reckon you'll get most of them through no trouble (although if some bored postal worker notices the Maxim covers, he might well hold that back for 'further examination' :wink: )

I don't bother with postal subscriptions now though - you wind up working on a ten day delay to the internet, reading about crises that you know have already been resolved.

Roddy

I have an on-line Economist subsciption, which was only blocked briefly back in 2002. So, I think you're safe getting that. I'm not sure about getting the print edition sent to your house.

The other two come up as well. :D