Chinese-Forums

From Thailand to China

siamtony

Hello everybody. Im a 42 year old Englishman living and working in Thailand for more than 10 years. I don't have a degree, but i have a vast amout of experience teaching all levels and abilities. I have been offered a teaching position in China for 6 months, April to September by an agengy who say no degree is no problem. They offer 7-9K (8?) with most things paid. Does this sound normal/realistic? Would i be able to get a job off my own back with better pay?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds plausible, but my worry would be the quality of the school. Any place that can attract degree-qualified teachers is going to do so, so why can't your employer? At the very least I'd want some robust references from current / recent teachers. 

Can you get a work visa/residence permit as an English teacher in China without a degree? If not, they may bring you in on some other visa that really doesn't allow you to legally be employed there. I'm not sure about this, but just thought it was worth mentioning.