Chinese-Forums

X2-visa stuck in one city?

Davidfromsweden

Hi,

I will take roddys advice and start a new topic and hope for some answer. Even though i know X2-visa i quite new i hope someone have experience of this issue.

I will start from the beginning. I got an invitation from a small private school in Xiamen. They said they could help me with the visa application but could only help with a F-visa. I did'nt matter for me if it was F or X as long i got atleast 6 months. I sent in my application and it got approved and it were somehow a X2-visa for 180 days.

Now things have changed and there is a room avaliable in Beijing with a friend of mine and i got some work lined up there so i have second thoughts about Xiamen. But the question in hand is, am i stuck i Xiamen? I mean, the reason i got the X2-visa is thanks to the invitation from the school in Xiamen. Does someone have any experience of this?

post-53869-0-00924900-1388915375_thumb.jpg

legally there is nothing that will stop you from going to another city. However, the school that you signed up and provided you with the visa documents might have an issue if you go and a) use there visa while not studying with them and b) do something that the visa was not given for (working).

Any paid employment is all under a Z visa. Paid work under any other visa is strictly illegal and if caught, you'd be thrown in jail and fined extensively before being deported.

However, because of the high-demand of English here, you will get offers to teach privately and it is lucrative. Its up to you to decide if its worth the risk.

If you haven't signed a contract of some kind, I can't see the school being unreasonable about your change of direction to Beijing.

Good luck.

Thanks for your inputs!

@Sinofaze sorry i wasn't clear in my post. I will not work at that school just study but i will probably work part-time also. But thanks for clearing things up anyhow! :)

So what do you guys recommend me to do? Should i talk to the school in Xiamen and explain the situation?

You should be Okay talking to the school, telling them of your change of mind. You're being straight with them so they should be reasonable. Most schools and colleges are pretty easy-going and understanding when it comes to foreigners and their choices.

You should talk to the school and tell them the situation. How understanding they are will depend - mainly about how far they understand the visa regulations. If they do understand them and work in a professional manner, they will most likely not be ok with it. They sponsored your visa, so if you are caught working on it, they will be not only in very big trouble, but never be able to issue a visa invitation again. If the local visa authorities decide to check if you really are a student at the school (contrary to what many people think, this does happen) and you are not even in Xiamen, they will also get into trouble. If there is a visa crack down (like last year) that would not make things easier. It is a lot of risks to ask a school to take for someone who is not even their student.

It is your call on how you do this, it is possible to just go to China with this visa and you and the school will probably be alright. If it is a small school with not much experience or defined processes, you might get away with it and they just do not care. If it is a professional school that cares about it's future, they most likely will.

The legally correct thing would be to apply for a new visa, as you would in any other country. You can apply for another visa when you already have one in your passport.

It sounds like the most sensible thing to do is to skip Beijing and go to Xiamen? I don't want to get the school into trouble, they been very helpful. My first choice were Xiamen so it really doesn't matter if i end up there instead of Beijing. But everthing would be so convenient in Beijing because i know the city and the living situation is already sorted out.