Chinese-Forums

Making a chinese passport in the uk

bignell

Hi,

Hope someone can help me, my stepson is chinese, living and attending school in the uk
His chinese passport has a permanent uk visa and the passport will expire summer time this year

Now my problem is how is make a chinese passport in the uk, and how do you prove he is still a chinese citizen, not british citizen
hope someone can help ,  thanks dave

He should contact the Chinese embassy in the UK, they give out passports. Your stepson is far from the first person who needs this and they will know exactly what to do. Best check their website first on how to apply for a new passport, what to bring, etc. Generally, he would need to bring his current passport.

Also look into how to transfer his permanent UK visa to the new passport. You can ask the Chinese embassy, or whatever government bureau gave him the visa. This will also be a common procedure and shouldn't be too difficult.

Your stepson will not lose his citizenship. Even if he would lose his passport or if it expires, he'll remain a Chinese citizen for the rest of his life unless he takes action to change that (apply for British citizenship, serve in a foreign army, stuff like that). He will also not automatically become a British citizen.

Good luck!

Edit: what Roddy said, basically.