Chinese-Forums

Re-entry visa (currently have student visa) into China

pprendeville

I'd like to travel to Taiwan in March for the Taipei Bike Show for 3-4 days. I currently have a student visa which expires in July (I'll be heading home in June). Can I apply for a separate re-entry visa for use when coming back from Taiwan or do I have to follow a different procedure?

• Like 1

A student visa allows multiple exits and re-entries without needing any special additional procedures. No additional visa needed to go to Taiwan and back for a few days.

In some parts of China (mine for example) the 派出所 appreciates notification that your exit from the China mainland is only temporary, rather than permanent, so they don't close out your file when they get notice of your outward movement from the border authorities.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the new X-1 and X-2 visas are single entry, unless otherwise stated.  This is very much like how the X and F visas were, by default, valid for just one entry; with the latter only becoming multiple once converted to a residence permit.

If your visa says one entry, I'd assume is valid for just one entry.

There's an off chance your school's International Student Office may be able help get around this regulation; but this would be entirely dependent on the reason for the trip and their guanxi, neither of which are likely to work in your favour here.

• Like 2

Well, many apologies. It looks like I spoke too fast and told you wrong. @m000gle has it right.

When I've had a student visa, it was always converted to a residence permit within 30 days, and that allowed unrestricted coming and going to other countries.

To the OP, if your student visa has been converted to a residence permit, then it's OK to leave the country (出境)  and return without additional paperwork or procedures unless something special is required by your school, such as a leave of absence. 

• Like 2

post-46523-0-38515700-1389156942_thumb.jpg

I've attached a copy of my visa but it doesn't look like a multiple entry one to me. So basically I think I need to go to the PSB at the Lama Temple Subway stop and apply for a re-entry visa. Am I right in saying this?

Irish nationals don't need a visa for Taiwan so I'm ok for this side of things, just getting back into the mainland is the problem.

• Like 1

Yes to both questions. To get additional confirmation and full peace of mind, you might still want to let either the school authorities or the officials at the PSB have a look. 

But at the top of your photographed document, it says "Residence Permit" and it doesn't specify number of entries or length of each entry like a visa does.

Here's a sample China visa from a travel website. It is markedly different from your document.

post-20301-0-32936400-1389176219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's not a visa. It's a Residence Permit. You can exit and re-enter on it at will.  -abcdefg

Are you serious? That's brillant. Are you 110% sure?  -pprendeville

Yes, that is correct.  The photo you posted is very clearly a Residence Permit.  It says so at the top, matches exactly both residence permits I've had over the years, and explains the lack of a number of entries field.

I'm guessing that your passport also contains the visa sticker, on another page and likely along with your initial immigration entry stamp.  The visa will look something like the one abcdefg posted; but I've also never seen the new X-2 visas, so I can't say for sure.

Long story short: Until 2014-07-10, when your residence permit expires, you can exit and enter China as many times as you like; it's good for an unlimited number of entries, during its period of validity.  Both your school's International Student Office and the local PSB should tell you the same thing :)

• Like 2

Btw, Taibei to Taichung, anyone know how long this takes on a train (Google maps says 3 hours but that's by car)? Would I need to get tickets a few days in advance or would it be ok to buy on the day? Haven't been there before and not sure what to expect. Apparently it's much different to the mainland.