Chinese-Forums

Perl: Searching Chinese strings

in_lab

I'm trying to write a simple program in Perl for indexing Chinese words in a text file, but I think the Chinese encoding is giving me problems. I just want to do some things like search and replace strings, such as

$line =~ s/。/。n/g;

if ($line =~ /$word/) ...

In the above line, searching for most words works fine, but if the word has 加 in it, for example, it causes the program to crash (unmatched [ error). Another word, 社會, is found in every line. I'm using big5 encoding for the files. I tried utf8, but I couldn't get that to work. I don't want to have to become a perl/chinese encoding expert just to write a simple program. Any advice?

I've had success treating Chinese text as regular perl strings in the GB2312 and GB18030 encodings. Can you use those or are you locked to the complex character set?

There are unicode libraries on CPAN designed for handling Unicode characters. It sounds as if one of the characters in the string is triggering an End-Of-String command and the program is subsequently screwing up. Why not post the details of what you're trying to do below? There may be alternatives to perl as well.

travelyan,

The finished text needs to be big5, but I can use whatever works for processing. So, as you suggested, I tried processing it as gbk (I don't know if that's GB2312 or GB18030), and it works! Thanks a lot! I've already wasted lots of time looking for an answer, I wish I had posted here sooner. Now, I'll just use Convertz to convert texts to GBK and then back to big5.

adrian,

I don't know if perl knows the encoding. I tried

use encoding 'big5', STDIN => 'big5', STDOUT => 'big5';

If I run the program by double-clicking the .pl file, the output to STDOUT is Chinese. If I run the program from the command line, I get 亂碼.