Chinese-Forums

Practical Chinese Reader question (the old one)

Rex

Hi!

I'm studying Mandarin Chinese and in class we're using Practical Chinese Reader (the old one - green with bamboo on cover) - currently 2nd volume. As the book is out of print for few years it's quite hard to get and we have to copy the pages.

So my question is: does this book exist in electronic form? That would be great for learning as I could feed it through some helper applications that would help me read faster (WenLin...).

If not is anybody here having it in paper form and willing to donate, sell or trade for something else? I'd be interested in volumes 1,2,3.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

Rex

The paper form is available for $16.95 at Amazon, which is very cheap for a textbook. It is also available from independent sellers at Amazon for a lot less.

BTW, the way I do the reading is I read the dialogue without any preparation to see how much I can figure out. I then read the vocabulary and then go back and read the dialogue again. I then go and read the rest of the chapter. While I do use Wenlin to read web pages and the like, I think it is good to have to try to read the PCR text the hard way to help one deal with real-life reading (as much as reading prepared texts about comrades can be).

Thanx for reply. The problem is these books are second-hand and Amazon usually does not want to send them to where I live (Central Europe)...

Also why I'm looking for electronic form is because I have very limited time for learning (busy at work) so my schoolmates are pretty ahead of me. Sometimes I cannot remember characters from previous lessons and reading the texts through WenLin or alike would kick me further without long search for already studied (but not remembered) characters...

Rex

Thanx for reply. The problem is these books are second-hand and Amazon usually does not want to send them to where I live (Central Europe)...

OK. I didn't know where you are. The US Amazon page sells the new ones for $16.95 and they appear to ship everywhere, at least for this kind of book. I'm sure shipping won't be cheap, though. :cry:

How about ordering it from Amazon.com's German division:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/7100000890/qid=1112895512/sr=8-10/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i10_xgl/302-0571035-7714469

They sell it for about EUR 10. Maybe they'll ship it to you in Central Europe.

Also, while the books themselves aren't available online, many vocab lists from the books are:

http://ktmatu.com/chinese/practical-chinese-reader/