Chinese-Forums

Can anyone help me with KyLin TV? Maybe Chinese TV in general?

trisha2766

I started getting KyLin TV a while back but I'm not so sure if it was a good idea or not.  My listening skills are so bad its just frustrating to watch.

But maybe more importantly I don't entirely get how it works.  For one, I can't figure out how to use the DVR that comes with it.  I emailed them some time ago and never got an answer, I'll have to try again.  But if anyone can explain it in plain English that would be greatly appreciated.  So much of the onscreen menus are in traditional characters too which makes it harder for me. 

And are the channels that come from China really the same programming?  And do they delay it around 12 hours?  Or since I'm in the US when I watch it in the morning am I really watching what they are showing in the evening there?  I asked them this over the phone but I wasn't entirely sure if the person I asked really understood what I was asking.

I also wondering if I'm getting channels that are the more popular ones in China.  I'd like to watch shows that a large percent of China likes to watch.

Is XiYangYang still on TV in China?  That is one show that I thought would be cool to watch but I've never been able to find it.  I have no idea what channel its on or know if I get that channel.

And what channel does the big New Year's show come on?  I'd like to watch some of that - I've heard so much about it I want to see a little.  But I have no idea what channel its on or what time it might be on.

Its all just kind of frustrating, I'm having a hard time navigating around, don't know where to start watching ,etc.  Right now I'm watching KyLin Live which appears to be broadcasting a CCTV 1 children's show.  It looks really cute, I would love to dvr it but have no idea how.  Some bears in a forest tormenting the loggers. 

And I guess I'm in one of those moods where I'm really frustrated with my lack of progress with Chinese. Maybe because of chinese new year coming up.  Its like a puzzle I want to solve but am overwhelmed by it all. 

Any suggestions for using KyLin TV or information on some specific channels in China and their programs would be appreciated.  I could post the channels I get if needed.   Thanks

I have their set top box and the lowest tier service, but it's the older version 1 which I haven't bothered to upgrade. I think the channels are the same, though.

Is there a button on the remote for language? All the program guides and descriptions are translated into English, and the language button converts the text between languages.

The selection of live channels isn't great in the lowest tier package. Many of them seem to have 6-12 hours of real content which then repeats throughout the day. Ironically, the two channels most likely to show something popular are the ones from America.

There's a 'lang' button on my remote but I can't see that it does anything.  I can't see any way to see anything in English, but I'd even be happy just to get simplified characters. 

I wish the kids channel they have was better.  The picture quality isn't that good, it seems like there is only a handful of shows they just keep repeating.  There must be better shows for young children in China to watch. 

I figured out how to change the language, its within the settings.  I cheated and changed it to English!  Once I get more familiar with it I'll change it to simplified characters. 

Unfortunately when they say it has a DVR I figured that meant you could really record shows but you can't, you can just go back and watch anything from the last 48 hours.  I would really like to find a way to record.  There's no output option on the settop box you get but maybe I could still connect a vcr somehow. It connects to the TV with an hdmi cable, I'll have to see if I could connect one through that.  Don't currently have a vcr though.