Chinese-Forums

Frustrated with my lack of progress!

trisha2766

• 4 weeks later...
Today I'm suffering a confluence of very sticky weather, horrible neighbours and the most painful conversational dead-end I've had this year: when I couldn't explain to a WeChat friend in China that my brain is broken ("What are you saying? I don't understand"), I chucked a fit of exasperation and just bailed.

An update: That week was an indication that I should stop for a while, so I did. After a few days of reviewing basic grammar, all of which I understood and had been using pretty well, I barely looked at or spoke Chinese in a month. That seemed to do the trick.

It seems to me that an important part of learning a language is allowing yourself the occasional extended break, so that what you've learnt has time to settle and coalesce. I was panicking so much about improving for my upcoming trip to China that I wore myself out.

• Like 2

I think at some point most learners go through a "learn all the things" stage.  Then you burn out and do nothing for a while.

I've done it myself, more than once.  Then I realised that I could go at a more comfortable pace and get more long-term learning done than the start-stop, start-stop cycles.  It's the stop that's the killer.  I've found one of the key things in language learning is consistent, regular practice.  It just helps keep everything together.

I think at some point most learners go through a "learn all the things" stage.  Then you burn out and do nothing for a while.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what it was. My list of things to learn was astronomical, and now I can't even remember what a lot of it was (although I think bopomofo was the point at which my brain exploded).

• 5 years later...
On 1/24/2014 at 4:19 AM, imron said:
I didn't see the links to the mp3's for QQSR.

They were in the overseakids.com link, though checking that out now, I see the page is completely in Chinese so it might be a bit daunting to navigate.

Does anyone know, how to find the transcripts for this show today? (the links are broken)