Chinese-Forums

Connotations of 洋

roddy

Following on from this

I feel that a number of terms using 洋 are derogatory or have negative connotations. The 洋场 in the topic linked above is one. I see shops selling 西服, but never 洋服, and I think if you described someone as wearing 洋服 you might be implying he's a bit of a 假洋鬼子.

Obviously this is not always the case - the humble 洋葱 has nothing to fear.

Agree? Disagree? Are there any of the other 洋- words that could have negative connotations?

Roddy

洋 just means ocean and is used to refer to something/someone foreign. In my experience, 洋人 is usually used to refer to whites, probably because the term was originally used to refer to people from Europe and North America, who were virtually all white. I've never heard it used to refer to Japanese or Africans, for instance.

洋 as a descriptor is usually not negative at all -- unless it's used to mock, as in your 假洋鬼子 example. Indeed, it's often used with a sense of envy, implying that 洋人 are better than the Chinese, or 洋货 (Western products) are better than Chinese products. But as the Chinese lose their sense of inferiority, the connotation of 洋 might be changing, too.

In 假洋鬼子, it's not 洋 that's negative, but 假 (phoney) and 鬼子 (ghost).

I think it is only derogatory when it is meant to be derogatory. Perhaps this is just my mistaken speculation, but people who still use 洋 in a derogatory sense would be seen as old-fashioned and fairly provincial.

:conf

I sometimes refer to myself as a 真洋鬼子. :D

Strictly speaking, is not a derogatory term. It just refers to the fact that Japanese are short in height which was correct during the Pre-WWII days.

东瀛 is actually a beautifying term. There is a tour agency called 东瀛遊 in HK which specializes in outbound groups to Japan.