Chinese-Forums

Spring Festival Midnight Footage: Beijing

Tianjin42

I managed to sneak up onto the roof of my apartment (23rd floor) just before midnight and take a few photos amongst the fireworks. I have attached a video. This is near Sihui for those who know Beijing.

As you will see from the video, it wasn't the safest activity in the world but was well worth it.

trim.1C9975A9-B7D6-4523-ADF0-DA194F209BB1.MOV

• Like 2

Yes, it is unsafe - you (imron) mention a good case in point.

There were literally fireworks bouncing of the buildings where I was.

And to think that this is down a significant amount compared to only a few years ago.

Once, I was staying at a friend's place over new year, and they had gone out to walk the dog.  A short while later I heard a knocking on the door and I just figured they'd forgotten their keys.  I go to open the door and a lady rushes in shouting 着火了,着火了 - turns out her kid had been letting off fireworks down below and one of them landed on my friend's balcony and caught fire.  Luckily I had been home otherwise the whole building probably would have burnt down.

I wonder how many buildings burn down or catch fire every new year in China.  That would be an interesting statistic.

Okay - This is a little more like it. You can see what it was like at midnight here. Might want to turn the sound down a little - utter mayhem. 

http://www.chinese-forums.com/files/fireworks.mov

Thanks Roddy for the assistance getting this video up. 

@bigdumogre

It isn't really a show per se, just everyone setting off fireworks at the same time. The video above is a more accurate depiction.

@simpleasy

I don't have a single video of everything but as stated the video in the post directly above above captures the moment at midnight.

@imron

The statistics would be interesting. I always hear a few stories locally and when I lived in a different part of Beijing a couple of years back I witnessed two small fires myself.

• Like 1