Chinese-Forums

Getting Visa in America, entering through HK.

thatfunnyvibe

• New Members

According to

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/tourist.htm

one requirement for the Tourist (L) Visa is

5. Documents showing the itinerary including round trip air ticket booking record and proof of hotel reservation, etc.

Considering that a flight straight to Hong Kong is the cheapest airfare, I do not want book a ticket to the mainland. Will the visa office accept a flight to Hong Kong and not to the mainland as a suitable round trip ticket? Do i have to get a plane ticket straight to the mainland? As soon as I arrive in Hong Kong I would take the train to Shenzhen to meet my friend.

Secondly, how long does this hotel reservation in the mainland need to be? One day? A week? I do not actually plan on staying in hotels but couchsurfing/ staying with friends in many different cities in china.

Lastly I had a question about the police registration. Should I register in every city that I visit? I know if you visit a hotel or hostel they will do it for you, but I do not plan on staying in these places in many cities. Though I know the police are not likely to come looking for me because I have not registered, I heard that getting further visas in the future may be a problem if they find that you never reported where you were while you were in China.

Thanks for your time, and I would appreciate as many details as possible in the answers!!

Will the visa office accept a flight to Hong Kong and not to the mainland as a suitable round trip ticket?

Yes. I've done it several times. It never caused any questions or delays in being granted my visa.

Do i have to get a plane ticket straight to the mainland?

No. Just indicate your plan, namely that you plan to enter Mainland China by train after arriving in Hong Kong. 

Secondly, how long does this hotel reservation in the mainland need to be? One day? A week?

How long a visa are you seeking? If you are seeking a one-year, multiple-entry visa with 90-day duration of each stay, book some rooms here and there, off and on, throughout most of the first three months. They do not need to be continuous. A couple days here and a couple days there are enough. Do it on websites that allow free cancellation.

Lastly I had a question about the police registration. Should I register in every city that I visit?

Yes, and do it within 24 hours of arrival in each new city.

• New Members

I want to be in China from late May to late August, just under 90 days. Single entry is fine. So your suggestion would be that I make several reservations, spaced out, throughout the whole course of this period of time? Couple days each? Any more information on the police registration? Are the police usually friendly? Does it take much time to register? Will they ask you a lot of questions regarding who you are staying with and why? Thanks so much!

I want to be in China from late May to late August, just under 90 days. Single entry is fine.

You won't get a single-entry 90-day visa, or I probably should say I've never heard of anyone being issued one. You should apply for the one-year tourist visa and request multiple entries, with 90-day duration of each stay. It costs no more, and allows you flexibility in case your plans change.

So your suggestion would be that I make several reservations, spaced out, throughout the whole course of this period of time? Couple days each?

Yes, exactly. Use a booking website that allows free cancellations.

Any more information on the police registration? Are the police usually friendly? Does it take much time to register? Will they ask you a lot of questions regarding who you are staying with and why?

You will need to go with your friend, since he or she will also have to supply information. You need to take your passport and a copy of the visa page as well as a copy of the front page. You need to take a couple of passport sized photos. (Easy to get these made in China.) They will probably only want one photo, but it depends to some extent on local whim.

Their attitude and inquisitiveness will vary according to factors outside your control. Don't worry about it. Don't be in a hurry; everything takes time in China. Best if your friend speaks Chinese, since the officials may or may not speak English.

Don't decide it's too much trouble and just blow it off, thinking they will never notice. That would be a big mistake.

• New Members

Thanks so much for your input. I know they are the same price, my reasoning for wanting the single-entry is that I assumed it would be easier to get than a longer-term one. I am guessing it is not this way at all, thanks!

I don't think a short visa is easier to get than a longer one. No rhyme or reason to it.

Oddly, if you only want one entry you often get a short time period for it, regardless of how long you have requested. It's arbitrary and there is no avenue of appeal once it is done.

However, if you have a longer visa with multiple entries, in a worst-case situation you can exit to Hong Kong and come back in a second time.