Chinese-Forums

Japanese students currently having problems?

roddy

Can any students currently at university in China tell us if Japanese students are currently having any problems due to the anti-Japanese demonstrations? Are universities advising them to stay on campus or anything? Similar things have happened before – I know a few people who opted to go home after having rocks and bottles thrown at them after the NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.

There’s already a discussion topic on the demonstrations in the News forum – please keep this purely for reports of ( or of a lack of) problems / incidents.

Good question,

I was wondering the same thing. One of my fellow classmates, a Japanese woman, is starting MinZu DaXue in September.

I'm concerned for her safety based on News reports (she is such a sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly).

Nothing really at BeiShiDa. The demonstrations were relatively close but there wasn't much spillover onto campus here.

RUMOR ONLY --- NOT STATEMENT OF KNOWN FACT

There were rumors going around though. Some people claimed two students were killed somewhere but I have not seen news that confirms this so as of now treat it ONLY as a rumor.

RUMOR ONLY --- NOT STATEMENT OF KNOWN FACT

There were rumors going around though. Some people claimed two students were killed somewhere but I have not seen news that confirms this so as of now treat it ONLY as a rumor.

Sunday saw riots in Zhejiang province between anti-pollution protesters and police/government' date=' with Reuters reporting two old ladies killed after being struck by a police car (note the town appears to be Wangkantou 王坎头 rather than Huankantou as in the article).

This series of BBS posts is interesting, for different spins on the story. But that's another topic altogether.

Can any students currently at university in China tell us if Japanese students are currently having any problems due to the anti-Japanese demonstrations?
Similar things have happened before – I know a few people who opted to go home after having rocks and bottles thrown at them after the NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.

All I can say is to ask these Japanese students to protect them as well as possible. I am a Chinese and I feel so sorry for all these. I don’t think we Chinese should act like this. Yet for some historical backgrounds and misunderstanding or bias between some Japanese and some Chinese, it seems that narrow-minded national emotion in some people’s mind is unavoidable.

If possible, I want to say sorry to those Japanese or other foreign students for their sufferings due to this annoying narrow-minded national emotion.

According to Ernest Hemingway's novel “ For Whom the Bell Tolls”, all human beings are an entirety, others’ misfortune is yours, so don’t ask, “For whom the bell tolls?”—it is for ME,YOU, HIM, HER, AND EVERYONE!

http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/belltolls/about.html

(Some note for “For Whom the Bell Tolls”)