Chinese-Forums

Anyone Know Which VISA I Need for an Unpaid Internship in China?

Smog

I'm not going through an agency, so I'm kind of out on my own here as far as figuring this all out goes.  My research is turning up all kinds of answers.  Some people say I need an F visa, others an X visa, and some are even saying China doesn't issue visas for internships anymore.  

As for my situation, I'm American, just finished teaching in China for 2 years (legally under a Z visa), and am now in America looking to go back to China for an internship.  

I've been in direct contact with a legitimate company in China that may be interested in taking me on as an intern, but I need to figure out what exactly it is I need from them in order for me to get the proper visa.  I know I need an invitation letter, but I'm not exactly sure what that should entail.  Is it a generic statement saying I'm going to work there (unpaid) for X amount of time, or is there some kind of official form the company needs to fill in?  I'm trying to limit the amount of aggravation the company would have in helping me to secure my visa, if that's possible.  

Any general advice here?  Thanks everyone.  

I'm not going through an agency, so I'm kind of out on my own here as far as figuring this all out goes.  My research is turning up all kinds of answers.

You should also ask an agency, or several, to find out how they are handling this situation day to day.

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

My company deals with the Chinese embassy in London.

During May 2014 the policy regarding unpaid internships has changed.

• The embassy will not consider applications where the purpose of the visit is an internship.

Normally people try to get around this by inviting the applicant to do business, however

• Any applicant under 22 years old will only be able to apply for a business visa which allows them to stay in China for up to 30 days.

In order to try to get a visa for more than 90 days, applicants under 22 years old will need to provide a very detailed daily itinerary showing exactly what they will be doing each day of their stay in China along with return flights and hotel bookings for the entire journey. 

Even with this extra information as with all cases, the embassy will make the final decision.

Regards David

www.5starchinatravel.com