Chinese-Forums

Financial Vocab - 政策银行policy

roddy

政策银行 refers to the state-owned banks that are used by the government to influence the economy - ie invest in that sector, restrict lending to this sector. This is normally translated as policy bank, but I'm not sure this is a phrase known in English.

Any ideas on the translation on this? At the moment I'm advising people to just use 'policy bank', but include a note with first usage.

Roddy

Is it not the same as "central bank" (中央銀行)?

Sorry, I don't think they ar the same. For example, the central bank in china is The People's Bank of China中国人民银行,but Agrucultural Development Bank of China 中国农业发展银行 is one of the three governmental policy-functional banks, and its main function is to support the agricultural development in China in finance. The other two are : China Development Bank 中国发展银行 and The Export-Import Bank of China 中国进出口银行.

http://www.adbc.com.cn/ 中国农业发展银行

http://www.cdb.com.cn/web/ 中国发展银行

http://www.eximbank.gov.cn/ 中国进出口银行

A central bank, like the Federal Reserve or the Peoples Bank of China, isn't really a bank in the ordinary sense: you can't walk in an open an account there.

Though sometimes quasi-independent, it's essentially a government organisation that manages monetary policy. It does this, in part, by acting as banker and lender-of-last resort to commercial banks. In most countries, the central bank also issues the national currency.

I found a defination of the 政策性银行:

政策性银行是为确保国家大型基本建设和大宗进出口贸易的顺利完成而设立,并向这些项目提供国家政策性专项贷款的专业银行。其目的是建立健全国家宏观调控体系。到目前为止,中国有中国国家开发银行,中国农业发展银行和中国进出口银行三大政策性银行。

We can't walk in and open an account there either, their clients are some state-supported projects. I'm not sure whether we have counterparts in other counties.

I think this must be a China-specific thing

It may not be so. I have found these ->

this webpage[/url]]Upon establishment in 1954 as a policy bank[/color'], KDB has operated under the Korea Development Bank Act and provided long term equipment capital loans to industries.
this webpage[/url]]The Vietnamese Government signed Decree 16 on January 22 regulating the organization and operation of the country's policy bank[/color'], which took effect from the day of signing.