Chinese-Forums

Which embassy to use?

Prophecy20

A friend who is travelling to China with me, lives in Italy.

Must he apply for his visa in his home country? Or is it OK for him to apply for the visa in my home country, part of the UK?

I ask this because his embassy require a much more detailed visa application such as train tickets, hotels etc, as well as a letter of invitation. Whereas in the UK I only need to supply a letter of invitation and flights.

Application in a Third Country & Regions

Travelers often need to obtain visas while en route, in another country, for example, you are Austrians, you can also apply at Chinese Embassy in Berlin, Germany. While it is possible to obtain one in this situation it has become more difficult recently. Some offices do not accept appliations from persons who are not resident in the country concerned. (...) There is no simple answer to this issue, nor is it clear exactly why this rule exists. The first option is to try at every Chinese Consulate that you pass in the hope that one will grant one. Another possibility is that if you can manage without your passport for a couple of weeks, you express mail or courier your passport and application to a friend or agent in your own country and have it sent back to you after it has been issued. 

From here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/application.htm