Chinese-Forums

Student Residence Permit to Work Permit

Alex Whiteman

I've just gone through the work permit threads in this forum and I'm even more confused than before.

Looking at random websites state the documentation you need to in order to apply for a Z visa in your own country. . . so that doesn't seem to apply 100% to my situation.

I'm on a student residence permit. My potential employer says I can get my work permit in HK over a week-end. . .

1) What's the procedure here? Is there any Z-visa involved at all or is it exchanging a permit for another?

2) What documentation is needed and who provides what?

3) Is it true that the government needs two months to issue one of the above?

4) Does the employer need a copy of your passport at any point? (I was adviced against)

These questions might seem to have obvious answers to some but I have not foud a thread having everything neatly put together. The fact that most threads talk about special cases and that the rules changed in July last year (did they?) makes this for me all the more ambiguous.

Hi, 

Yes, you can do it HK. The whole process takes around 6 weeks, I think. The regulations change ALL THE TIME though, and the actual time depends on the number of working days.

My case was handled by my employer who hired an agency to take care of of it (I just had to show up at the entry-exit bureau, but the agent took care of everything). They send me the following checklist (this is for Shanghai). 

Z0 Service: First time Apply for 1 Year Working Permit and Residence Permit with your employer, Document list:

1. Passport copy

2. Resume or C.V. (in English or Chinese is ok)

3. Copy of the Business License

4. Copy of the Organization Code License + Copy of the company Approval Certificate

5. Copy of bachelors or higher degree

6. Reference letters from any foreign company to prove you have 2 years full-time working experience (after graduated) in your current field and position. 

7. Employment Contract 

8. Registration Form of Temporary Residence

9. Health Certificate (Reserve online: http://www.sithc.com/en/log/index.asp

10. 5 Passport Photographs (2 inches size) 

Procedure below:

Step1. Document collect and application preparation (5 working days)

do the Medical checkup (Reserve online: http://www.sithc.com/en/log/index.asp), You need to bring it with you to apply the Z visa 

Step2. Apply for a working license (15 working days)

Step3. Apply for a visa notice (3 working days)

Step4. With above 2 doc. you have to go to homecountry once to get a 30 days Z visa (depending on your schedule)

BTW: You can also choose HK to get the Z visa.

Step5. After you come back with the Z visa, apply for 1 year work permit (3 working days)

Step6. Apply for the 1 year working residence permit  (15 working days)

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

Thank you! That was exactly what I needed.

Now things are clearer: it's clearly very complicated. . .

My first question would be about document 6:

Actually it's two questions. . .

a) Chances are I'll be doing work in one branch of business different to the one I have experience at. What's the solution?
Also, I've seen people with less than 2 years of experience or with absolutely unrelated experience get the visa.
I asked one of them about the details of the procedure and she just told me "I don't know, my visa agent took care of everything".
Is there any flexibility here that doesn't involve cash?
What I can think of is the future employer stating that they need you exactly for that experience you do have and that's it. . . but I don't know.

b) What does the letter must contain? To whom is it addressed? If the Chinese government takes weeks to get things done, my former employer takes months. . . got a total burn-out trying to manage up, suggesting all kinds of things, almost to the point of pleading. . . and seeing them catatonic past deadlines, past damage control opportunities, past opportunities to do something about the fact that the deadline had been missed and no damage control had been made. . .
  Anyway. . . I'm thinking that if I know what the letter should contain I might as well go ahead and ask my former employer to issue one. . . if it's generic enough (like, it doesn't address my new employer or any particular circumstances). Maybe in August, when I fly back home because my visa expired and I got kicked out of China, I'll have the opportunity to step by the office and remind them again. . . 

I'm on a student residence permit. My potential employer says I can get my work permit in HK over a week-end. . .

1) What's the procedure here? Is there any Z-visa involved at all or is it exchanging a permit for another?

You can't transfer a student visa to a work visa. At least you couldn't. So in effect, you go to HK, cancel your student permit (or it expires). You apply for a new Z visa that lets you back into China, then when in China, you and your employer apply for the residence permit for work. For the Z visa in HK, check out the "HK visa thread" on this site for a good idea of how it works and what you need,

2) What documentation is needed and who provides what?

The info above looks good. Again, check out the HK visa thread.

3) Is it true that the government needs two months to issue one of the above?

The Z visa itself can take 2 days (the office is closed at the weekend). The whole process can take a lot longer, however, while they are processing, you can be starting work.

4) Does the employer need a copy of your passport at any point? (I was adviced against)

Why would a "copy" of your passport get you into trouble?

They will need a copy of your passport and perhaps the real thing at some point in ordert o successfully apply for various documents that you need to get the Z visa in Hk. When you get back, they will also need it to apply at the PSB. You should just go with them, and take your own passport, to the PSB to hand it in. You can also go and collect it yourself.

I am registered at my company HQ but I don't work at that branch. I don't think that is a problem in itself.

The experience thing could be an issue. Like everything.., it depends. Best ask your employer or visa agent.

Don't get too worried. I've changed visas a bunch of times. It's pretty easy as long as you have the right documents and meet requirements. Getting the right documents and going through the right processes is more your employers responsibility anyway... So pick a good one.

Oh, by branch I meant, for example, an industrial engineer who has experience in "procurement and logistics" gets hired to work in "facilities design". . .

In both cases he had/has to use his expertise as an industrial engineer. . . so it could depend on how the documents are worded?

Thank you.

Hi Alex,

So, for the the experience bit - there's usually (always)  a way around it, if you go through an agency. The only real issue would be if less than 2 years have passed since your bachelor's degree, otherwise it's doable. You can demonstrate experience from fields that are not necessarily related to your future employment - a reference letter from a former employer is usually enough (at least, in my case it was). If you are worried, I'd suggest you contact an agency - you'll have to pay extra, but it will take a load of your mind - at least, that's how I felt.