Chinese-Forums

MSPY Classic Input

yakherder

So I finally splurged and got a new laptop, and with it finally began using Windows 8.1.  No problems for the most part, until I added the Microsoft Pinyin IME and found that it no longer has an option for "MSPY Classic Input," at least not that I've found.

To clarify, the difference is that with classic input you must type the tone before it will come up with a list of characters to choose from.  The input method it had available, known in the previous version I was using with Windows 7 as "MSPY New Experience Input," is now no longer one of two options, but the only option.  If I were typing for purely practical reasons, this would be fine.  This input method requires only that you type the pinyin letters but does not allow for typing the tones, as the number keys are instead used to pick from the list of characters that pops up.  This is, indeed, much faster and more efficient once you get accustomed to it.

I've been relying on the classic input method as a study aid, however, as it essentially forces me to know the correct tone for every character or word I type.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get the MSPY Classic Input option back when using Windows 8.1, or is it simply not available in the newest version of Microsoft Pinyin IME?

I use Google pinyin on my android, but I didn't even realize it was available for use on PC's.  Just figured it was a smartphone/tablet thing.  Went ahead and downloaded it.  It didn't have exactly what I was hoping for, but it does have a lot more input options than the Microsoft IME so I'll probably stick with it.  Thanks :)