Chinese-Forums

Looking for "word" translation software Chinese to

woliveri

I'm looking for translation software that will translate chinese words to english. I don't want the stuff that translates and tries to put into proper grammatical form. I only want software that will translate the individual words. Such as:

你好。你今天好吗?

you good? you today good?

such like this。

Is there any such software out there to do this?

Thanks,

nota bene -- there are various degrees of grammar analysis that run by default with the online version, but no Chinese characters are removed in annotation mode.

You'll see that performance depends heavily on the accuracy of the backend database. This is currently at about 137,000 entries. This is a community project, so users are invited to help us improve performance by adding missing content and correcting problematic entries.

Hi Trevelyan,

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong at your Adsotrans site? I type some chinese characters into the text field and hit 'Adsotate' and all I get back is the same characters I typed in. This is on Firefox and IE.

BTW, I love the newsinchinese site. Very useful!

bogleg,

I think what it's doing is by putting the text in and clicking Adsotate you get the text back but now you can hover over the characters and get the words, definitions.

Is there any way I can use this to put in the simplified characters and get back the text with definitions below?

In this format:

你今天好吗?

you today good?

I'm translating some of my class papers to show this format.

Thanks

Hey Woliveri,

We can edit the source code to enable whatever kind of output people need, but will need a template for it. If you can pass along an example of the kind of output you'd like rigged up in HTML, I'd be glad to implement it on the site.

Cheers,

--david

trevelyan,

What I was looking for was a translation of the "words" only. Not to be put into correct English grammar.

For example:

从去年七月以后,这儿就没下过雨

cóng qùnián qīyuè yǐhòu, zhèr jiù mò xià guò yǔ

from lastyear july before, here, ? ? below pass rain.

so the output would show Chinese, Pinyin, and One or two word english equivalent.

That may be the hardest part, the English equivalent.

The purpose for this is to get the feel of the structure of how Chinese patterns are used from an English viewpoint. I have a couple of books that have this format and wanted to transfer my notes into the same format.

I can do it with NJ Star but it's a little long winded and tedious.

Thanks,

Woliveri,

I don't know if you've downloaded our software, but if you download it and read the accompanying documentation it should be clear that you want to run your texts with the following command, which explicitly avoids any grammatical transformations, verb conjugations, etc.:

adso -f [input_file] -t

The version of the software running online at: http://www.newsinchinese.com and http://www.adsotrans.com defaults to a relatively minimal degree of grammar analysis and transformation, as set by the following command-line instruction:

adso -f [input_file] -g -t --depth 6 --length 100 --code -v

I don't know if you are commenting after having looked at this, so I'm not sure what else needs be said regarding Adso. What I meant by providing an example of an interface wasn't so much providing a singular example of output (you can easily script this yourself for your own texts) as providing a workable template for HTML/CSS output that would work for all texts regardless of line length, formatting etc.. See the way we annotated for pintone -- the method works for texts of all lengths as well as HTML-embedded texts.

Whether our output is useful for your intentions will probably depend on what you hope to use it for. Most of our users are intermediate to advanced users who are already comfortable with the basics of the language, and find the convenience it offers in terms of word-lookup and translation memory overrides any errors the software makes annotating/translating texts. If you're looking for software that is more customizable than Adso though, I frankly don't think it exists. Most professional translation programs start in the hundreds of dollars and rely on expensive private databases of dubious reliability, and even then don't offer this kind of mouseover feature. The closest piece of software I know of is probably the commercial program Clavisoft, which comes with a database of around 25,000 entries (Adso has 138,000), but does a wonderful job providing both character and word information on mouseover.

That being said, what exactly are you looking for? If you're teaching the language, my own experience as a student would lead me to emphasize the completely different positioning of prepositional clauses in the language, and especially their tendency to fall before verbs rather than at the end of the sentences. ie:

He (IN BEIJING) works.

We (WITH FRIENDS) go shopping

Please (AFTER THE NEXT TRAFFIC LIGHT) turn right.

But this hardly needs the support of machine translation/automation software to be effective. And if you're expecting machines to be able to make the grammatical differences between the language flawlessly obvious to your students while accurately tagging arbitrary content I think you make far too high demands on the current state of machine translation, as well as on the extensiveness of cross-language bilingual resources.

trevelyan,

Thanks. No I had not previously downloaded the application but I have now.

I noticed when I translated something not all the words were translated. Could be no entry in the Dababase?

方位词语 output-> fang wei word

how can I edit the adso.db? What application under windows environment?

I tried to import it or open it with MS Access but could not.

Thanks,

We don't currently have software to edit the version of the database distributed with the Windows binary. This should be an easy task for any Windows programmer to throw together and there may even be existing tools to edit SQLite databases. No-one has volunteered for the task yet and our other developers have different priorities so this hasn't got much attention.

Assuming you don't want to download SQLite and edit the database directly through SQL commands or third party software, persistent changes can be made to the database by using one of the online forms available through http://www.newsinchinese.com or http://www.adsotrans.com. Our next update is scheduled for May 1st. This will come with several hundred new words contributed in the past month along with corrections to some existing pinyin and definitions. Any changes you make online before that date will be carried over into the new release through this process.

If you want to be able to make more real-time edits while interacting with the text, you should just using the online service. I'd run your text through the "translate" feature on this page:

http://www.adsotrans.com/advanced.html

If you find that the grammar transformations are significant enough to interfere with what you hope to accomplish through annotation/translation, try selecting the "lowest" quality setting on the members page (open to the public) and processing your text as a remote webpage. This will require the text you are procesing to be online, but has the advantage that any changes you make to the backend database will becoming immediately effective. The lowest quality setting with segment the test and run some rudimentary grammar analysis, but won't screw around with word order, conjugation, etc..

So... there are trade-offs involved, and they may or may not be worthwhile from your perspective. Remember though, If you can send along an example of HTML/CSS output in a style that would be convenient for you to use, I can rig the site to provide this custom output fairly easily. Its not a hassle to add features that people will actually use to the site.