Chinese-Forums

My style of music in china

PhreakOut

Hey guys,

I've wanna start listening to some more chinese music now, i don't really care about the level of complexity in the lyrics or anything, since i dont live in china, i've been having a very hard time finding something i like in their music, i'm sure you guys can help me out.

So, what am i looking for? Even tho i listen to a lot of diferent styles of music (from rap to metal, reagge and eletronics), I still am kinda picky with what i listen, i think it might create a better idea of what i hear if i just drop some band names, so hear ya go, if u can help me out finding anything similar in chinese then please do:

- Die Antwoord.

- Megadeth.

- Led Zepplin

- Slayer.

- Slipknot.

- Eminem.

- Iron Maiden.

- Bob Marley.

- Manu Chao.

PS: If you find any chinese music that is like you never heard before, that is "alternative" and inovative, even if it doesn't really relate with any of the types mencioned above, please feel free to post here anyway, always happy to try out new things.

There are several threads on Chinese rock and alternative music, most recently one started by Nathan Mao, you can start with those threads. There is in fact quite a bit of good Chinese music, but the popular music is pretty formulaic and the good stuff is a bit harder to find.

And also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd_fvM2hLz0

With your musical tastes, I can clearly see that you are signaling "I am a man, and thus I listen to manly music". Also I'm kinda confused as to what living in China has to do with caring or not about the lyrical complexity of music.

Regardless, the one band that I can't get enough of lately is 二手玫瑰 (alternative rock with Chinese folk and occasional heavy metal influences). It seems pretty much every single one of their songs is incredible in its own way. I honestly think they're a world-class band, even though they're not commonly known outside of China (and not exactly huge domestically, either). I shall continue recommending them ad-nauseum until they become as famous as they ought to be, or until someone locks me in an insane asylum, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

I shall continue recommending them ad-nauseum until they become as famous as they ought to be, or until someone locks me in an insane asylum, whichever comes first.

I second this excellent plan.

• Like 1

Haha, I'm in your 二手玫瑰 for world domination plan, too! *High Five*

@ Phreakout, I recommend you go and listen to The Sound stage, episode-for-episode, and just find out what you like. It's a fun and short show, about 20 minutes/episode each, dedicated to Chinese underground from Metal and folk to Electronica. First the band is interviewed, then they play a song live full length (some lip-synch).

You can find all of their 50+ shows on Youtube. Can't give the link right now unfortunately, but if you search Youtube for The Sound Stage you'll find their channel and even a neat playlist with all episodes.

IIf you are open to other countries, definitely check out Yat-Kha from Tuva, especially their album Yenisei Punk. A mix of siberian folk, punk rock and metal. Their singer also did some amazing solo stuff like a Motörhead cover in throat singing.

Thanks for all the excelent recomendations in such a short space of time guys!

I guess i have a lot to look up now.

Just to clarify @Demonic_Duck when i said i didnt live in china, i was explaining why i'm having such dificulty in finding chinese music i like, it was suposed to be understood as "I've been having a really hard time finding chinese music i like since i don't live there, and i am not familiarized with their music scene at all", i get the missunderstanding and english is not my native language, i try my best...

Gotcha, makes sense now ;)

There's certainly lots of good Chinese out there, although I honestly thought the same as you for most of my life (that most Chinese music was boring/not my style). I think Ruben von Zwack's suggestion of the Sound Stage TV show might be a good place to start, although I didn't know it existed until she posted that (thanks Ruben!) Otherwise, check out some of the other threads in this forum, or do a forum search for "chinese [rock/metal/rap/alternative/etc.] bands".

It's to say that you basically seem to like metal more. And I would even say that you probably like guitar soli.

There is Tang Dynasty, yes, but you might find it mild... and they are the only ones.

The only other metal band I know is Chthonic, and yeah of course it's metal, like really metal, not rock'n'roll, but huh, listen by yourself :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UkowmQs30 (I know it has a good start but wait for it).

(I know, I could have said it sounded like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth before letting you click :twisted: )

Honestly I really think that their fans are only there because of the bass player and her assets (sorry for that :D ), but I'll let you be the judge of it.

Sometimes I like their lyrics and themes though. Like these of this song, it's about Taiwanese aborigines. There is even a part sang in what I believe to be Paiwan language (I deduced it from the fact that the song is about Takao, which nowadays is Kaohsiung, and that Paiwan were the most represented tribe here). Plus they don't seem to have the usual shitty ideals that go with their type of music and seem to be trying to break the nazi/satanist stereotype. 

Well they're not totally bad so :0

The only other metal band I know is Chthonic, and yeah of course it's metal, like really metal, not rock'n'roll, but huh, listen by yourself :

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e_UkowmQs30 (I know it has a good start but wait for it).

(I know, I could have said it sounded like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth before letting you click :twisted: )

Honestly I really think that their fans are only there because of the bass player and her assets (sorry for that :D ), but I'll let you be the judge of it.

Sometimes I like their lyrics and themes though. Like these of this song, it's about Taiwanese aborigines. There is even a part sang in what I believe to be Paiwan language (I deduced it from the fact that the song is about Takao, which nowadays is Kaohsiung, and that Paiwan were the most represented tribe here). Plus they don't seem to have the usual shitty ideals that go with their type of music and seem to be trying to break the nazi/satanist stereotype. 

Well they're not totally bad so :0

I'm a fan, and I'm not normally particularly into black metal. I don't think they're a particularly difficult band to get into as black metal bands go. They certainly have lots of melodic elements to balance out the screaming, what with the erhu, keyboards and female vocals. And yeah, Doris Yeh is hot, what you gonna do? Pity they'll never play the mainland though, what with the whole Taiwan independence thing...

Some other metal bands I'd recommend are 黑豹 Black Panther (if 唐朝 Tang Dynasty counts they do too), 窒息 Suffocated, 冥界 Narakam, 九宝 Nine Treasures and 夜叉 Yaksa.

thanks again guys for all your replies :)

checked out some of your sugestions and Tang Dinasty really interested me, plus that show Ruben talked about, of course ill check out all the other sugestions but ill be taking my sweet time with it. I had seen some chinese "metal" bands before (mainstream) but it always sounded too "commercial" or "soft" if you will (you metalheads out there might know what i mean), i've always thought there oughta be more to it, guess now i have my answer ^^

can't wait to check out chinese underground metal btw...

They certainly have lots of melodic elements to balance out the screaming, what with the erhu, keyboards and female vocals. 

The problem is all with the screaming. Why do you think I compared them to CoF and Dimmu Borgir? The melodic parts are more to my taste then the rest, indeed (and they also exist in the two other bands, hence my comparison). But the rest sounds grotesque to my ears.

I mean I like metal. I used to be a real metalhead when I was young. And I still like the good old days of Sepultura and KoRn, amongst others. But I don't like screamings in metal, i.e. black metal-like screamings. I mean, yeah, very especially the black metal type. I like screamings in hardcore though. It's not the same kind of screamings anyways.

Well, my opinion anyways. Maybe I shoudn't give it when it's mainly negative. You don't make friends by complaining, hey. Forget it mate.

Some stuff from my collection, in addition to the mentioned ones:

Punk: Brain Failure, He Yong, Carsick Cars, Last Chance for Youth, Rockstar, Another Idea, SMZB, Subs

Alternative: PK14, Happy Avenue (indie/lo-fi), Hedgehog (indie), Re-TROS (new wave)

Metal: MuMa (nu-metal), Filter (Metallica-clone), Spring and Autumn (awesome progressive/folk metal), Nether Flute (a bit speed-metal from what I heard), Hollow, Tomahawk, Black Panther and Tang Dinasty are classics.

Classic Rock: Cui Jian. Yes, old and dated, but still the best.

And, of course, Glorious Pharmacy, one of best bands of all time, anywhere!

Oh, now I think of it (and as no-one else has recommended any rap), MC Hotdog's pretty decent, despite the dumb name. Your basic "party hip-hop", but in Chinese. His Taiwanese accent is very noticeable though (e.g. "先生" -> "先身"), not that that's anything to disrecommend him.

• Like 1