Chinese-Forums

Changing a tourist visa into a Z working visa"help me please"

danielbartlett

Hi

I am 22 years old, have a BA in marketing, and a tesol diploma.

I am currently living in South Africa, looking to move to china to teach.

I have been interviewed and accepted by a kindergarten school in Chengdu.

They need me to start ASAP. 

They have asked me to come on a 3 month tourist visa and then said that they will assist me in changing to a Z visa, once I am there.

There seems to be a lot of controversy over this topic.

Has anyone done this recently or have any advice?

I am desperate to get out of south africa asap.

Any comment or advise will be HUGELY appreciated

Regards

Danny

Hi Danny,

This is a grey area to be fair. There are guidelines but still there seems space for individual employers. It can depend also on the province. What they are suggesting can be done but it wouldn't be wise to do it if they expect you to teach whilst still in possession of your tourist visa only. It is illegal and though flouted - it isn't a good way to start things in China. 

At this stage perhaps it would be best to get more detail from them about how they plan to proceed (how long will it take/ do they intend that you go outside of the country to obtain the Z Working Visa etc.). Also - good to ask for contact details of any other foreigners at that kindergarten. Then post back here. 

Thank you Tianjin

They stated that they will fund and assist my trip to hong kong in order to change the visa into A Z visa.

I have edited the contract that they sent me to include the visa situation terms and conditions to safeguard myself.

stating that if I cannot obtain a visa they will fund me RMB 20000 to return to SA and obtain my z visa the standard way.

do you think they will sign it?

Ill post back as soon as i Know about the other foreign teachers there.

thanks 

They might quite happily sign it, it's when you need to get your 20k they'll laugh in your face. 

I'd treat this as a possible job. By all means go along with them, but keep looking for something else in case they just plan to keep you on tourist visas until you get bored of waiting and quit. And if you find an employer who can actually come through with the visa, don't feel bad about jumping ship. 

I wouldn't bother with the 20,000Y clause, you're never going to get that. Make clear though, and perhaps put it in the contract, that if you haven't got the proper paperwork within X weeks, you'll quit. Assuming, of course, that's what you'd do. 

Okay - timeout. It isn't a good idea to go out with the presumption that you could blackmail your employer if things don't work out. Leveling the playing field between teachers and employers is fair enough - this method isn't a solution.

Also you suggested that you want to leave SA fast and never return.

Have you thought through about where you are going and if you want this job? What is the motivation here?

Finally do be wary that the school best able to accommodate your requirement of immediate work will probably also be poorly organised (hence the willingness to hire immediately and sort visa issues etc. later).

Agreed with Roddy, whilst contracts are slowly becoming better respected, they are still a guideline at best (and an amusing novelty for foreigners at worst).