Chinese-Forums

deleted

neocarbunkle

Given that you'll be supporting someone else also, I suggest you get a job and study a reasonable amount in your free time. 

I assume you'll be teaching English still, which means to can make a livable salary on fairly low hours (e.g. half time), while being willing to work full time could set you up pretty comfortably. Many do this and study Chinese relatively successfully, either before or after their obligations, or during lunch breaks. Most people I know have a tutor come to their office during a long lunch break for 60-90 minute Chinese class - having it mid-day helps ensure regularity and less likelihood of canceling to spend more time with the missus.

Unless you absolutely need the structure and/or certificate of a formal program, I discourage you from enrolling. If motivated and disciplined you can achieve a lot on your own with relatively cheap Chinese tutors.

• Like 1

I find 2 hours at a time easier to work with and schedule (so I do 2 x 2 hour sessions a week, one from 6.30-8.30pm, one of them on a weekend).  This allows me to fit in a full time working schedule quite well, and spend time with the missus.   Rest of the time it's self-study.

Since your wife can speak Chinese you can also watch a lot of TV and movies together and enjoy downtime together but still learn.  

Considering what you have said – I would agree that working to secure things at first would be a good idea. The study can fit around that.

One thing though – previously I worked at a university where they allowed me to study with the Chinese department in the morning then teach in the afternoon. The salary wasn’t great but it was only 12 hours teaching per week and the university provided a nice apartment.

It was busy but it left weekends free. You could consider this and make contact with Beijing based universities if you are set on studying this way.

Otherwise get a decent job at first.

Yeah, tell your mother-in-law to back off. Particularly if she's in Beijing and she's going to be a bigger presence once you've moved.

Your plan's pretty doable, you're not going to be living in the lap of luxury if you're supporting two people on a single salary, but it's feasible. You need to decide what kind of job you want (university, private school, maybe international school if you're qualified) and start contacting schools and checking the job sites.

Unless you have particular reasons to go to Beijing, consider also looking at other cities. I suspect that bigger cities have better job opportunities (universities, international schools), but there are other big cities besides Beijing.