Chinese-Forums

Chinese short stories for MA dissertation

Maïté

• New Members

Hi!

I am writing my masters dissertation on the representation of women in modern Chinese fiction. I am currently looking for a collection of short stories (21st century preferably), containing stories written by both male and female writers, written in Chinese. If a translation exists in either English or French, it would be even better. However, that is not necessary at all. Could anybody offer any suggestions? 
Also, I am contemplating short stories written specifically for teenagers, so if anyone knows a great collection with those kinds of stories...

Thanks for your help! 
Kindest regards,
Maïté

I'm not up-to-date with 21st century literature, but there was a surge of feminist writers and stories during the Republic and into the Revolution period. Names like Qiu Jin, Zhang Ailing, and Ding Ling are some of the most interesting ones. Their writings were also translated to English so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

lakers4sho

Sounds like you're looking for something like this: http://chinese-shortstories.com/

The site's in French, so I've been reticent to dive in, but that shouldn't be a problem for you. That only goes for the descriptions though. The stories themselves are still in Chinese.

Good luck on the dissertation :)

Edit: I'm not sure if this has much 21st century writing, but I hope it helps.

Xinran, hands down. The best writer on women in China. She writes in English. I have asked her if her books were available in Chinese, but she said no. Her stuff is mostly nonfiction, but she has a couple of fiction pieces as well.

There are plenty of collections of short stories. You'd need to go through content pages to find out how many are women though. I couldn't spot anything with specifically female writers. 

Do you need famous / literary writers, or will any collection of short stories do? Paper Republic would be a good idea to get an idea of what's getting attention at the literary end. But if any old short stories will do, pick up a bunch of anthologies or magazines?