Chinese-Forums

Anyone know a decent webhost in China?

metal.lunchbox

Hi guys,

I've had webhosting from Dreamhost for a few years and until I came to China I thought it was perfect for my needs. Then I discovered that website hosted outside China will load so slowly that they may not be accesible at all, eventually the browser timeout hits. So I'm looking for something similar, a reliable low-cost web host, but based in China. Google searching is really only accessible for me in English, as I'm not able to scan large amounts of text in Chinese yet. I found one host with an English site, but they're charging $15/month and only offer 5gb of storage. Does anyone know of any good ones here?

I don't need a VPS, just an account on a linux server (debian or ubuntu is best) with ssh access and access to a MySQL server. I'd like something less than $10/month. It's China, that sounds like a fair enough price. I would set up my own server but where I live has an outside router and I can't set up port-forwarding on it, because I don't have access to it. Plus if I used the internet here it would be as slow as Spring Festival most of the time. Any tips?

Not in China, but have you considered digitalocean.com ? They have a new server farm in Singapore. They're cheapest plan is $5 per month with 20GB SSD storage. You have to be comfortable setting up your own server as it's self-managed. If you're comfortable with a linux terminal, they have a lot of tutorials on their site on how to setup everything up.

• Like 1

thanks 淨土極樂, that is super disapointing to hear about the license requirement. I had heard some vague rumors about such a thing and assumed it was only applied to larger concerns. Reading the link you provide makes it sound like any and all websites must get a license and getting a personal license is a hassle and will end up costing money. HK might be an option, but I worry that I would end up with the same problem as my current situation, hosting in the US. The extreme latency is not because of the distance between the US and China. Instead it is caused by the systems the Chinese gov has put in place to interfere with internet traffic coming from outside. Wouldn't a website hosted in Singapore, HK, Korea, have the same problems?

Yeah, I thought about that, but much of what I intend to do with webhosting is actually outward facing websites, exactly what the ICP license is designed to regulate. That brings me to my next question. Can I get webhosting without a license? Does anyone have experience with this? For the project I'm working on right now I could just restrict access until I get a license later. Is that feasible?