Chinese-Forums

beating the beaten path blues

beqstar

i am in xi'an right now, and i would LOVE to explore beyond the everyday sights and tourist attractions...i want the modest mundane, the country quiet, a place uncorrupted by KFC...i'm especially interested in religious/historic sights...i told my chinese friends, but they still take me to huge tourist spots...i appreciate and enjoy these trips, of course, but lately i've been spending more time READING about where i should go in china WHEN I AM IN CHINA!! I'm so mad at myself!!

any advice or suggestions?

I think the Confucius, the poster, once said that he bought the Chinese version of National Geographic magazine, which I think is 中国国家地理 (correct me if wrong). You could buy this, and even if you can't understand much of what it says, you can use the amazing photography and maps to guide you to new places.

Also, one of my friends used to live in 汉中 (Hanzhong), south of Xi'an. He said there is a beautiful, historic Daoist mountain near-by. You can probably find someone in Xi'an who is from Hanzhong and then get further details.

Personally, I like to travel to semi-famous or unfamous mountains to go hiking and get out of the city. Last National Day I went to Hengshan in Hunan province and Fenghuang, an amazing river town also in Hunan. I'd recommend both of those places, if only for the food!

Good luck!

中国国家地理 is worth picking up for the pictures alone (stick them in an IKEA frame and tell friends you took them) and can be a great lead for intrepid travellers.

You also might want to try the Oriental List if you haven't already - it's a China travel related mailing list. It's very strictly moderated, and this is not the place to ask 'how can I get to the Terracota warriors', or 'Where is China', but the members literally do write guidebooks - a well-asked question will provide a wealth of information.

Roddy