Learn Chinese in China
roddy

Why did you leave China?

75 posts in this topic

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Haven't seen any posts from @Liuzou in a long time. Did he move home too? Pretty sure I recall there was some mention of that possibility.

What keeps you personally here though, Gato? Or is that your list?

Interesting responses - had no idea you were doing that degree Anonymoose, look forward to hearing about it!

I think people start to look for the familiar as it feels safer.

Just to be clear, for me this has little to do with familiarity. I actually think it's great to be in a place where one is always learning or trying out something new. Unfortunately, I personally don't think that healthcare or local schooling is particularly good anywhere in China. It is possible to get decent schools in a large city, especially if one has the money to pay the fees and live in a nice area. Healthcare... well, you have to also have a generous income to get half-decent treatment and there is a lot of corruption in the system. I know some well-off people (Chinese and expats) who have told me horrible stories about bribing. I never dealt with anything like that, but I still found the medical treatment I received at Western/Expat-y hospitals in Beijing (supposedly some of the best or best in the city) to be sub-par. In any case, that's probably a debatable issue for some people, but for me I know that my kid is going to be better off here because the German healthcare system is pretty good (my husband had brain tumor surgery here last year, so I feel I know what I'm talking about!) and the schools have a good reputation, plus there are government-subsidized bilingual schools. So yes, in some ways this has been a conscious choice based on our specific situation, but that is not based on familiarity. :) (Also I'm not sure we'll stay here forever, I am not crazy about some things here... and I wouldn't mind trying out another place in the future!)

3 people like this

I enjoyed reading that, Carlo, thanks.

This thread has made me incredibly depressed about going back. Thanks guys!