Chinese-Forums

A visit from the police

abcdefg

Tonight a little before 9 p.m. I heard a knock on the door. Looking out the peep hole showed two uniformed policemen. When I opened up they were surprised to find a 老外 (foreigner) living here. Pretty sure I'm the only one in this old and shabby apartment complex.

I invited them in and offered them a seat. They asked if I was legally registered, how long I'd been here and whether or not I lived alone. Both officers showed me their Identification and one handed me a business card. I showed them a copy of my foreigner registration, passport and visa.

One made notes on a clipboard. They asked my phone number, and I gave that to them as well. Took 3 to 5 minutes all in all. Handled in a civilized manner.

Seems they were knocking on all the doors in my building. I have no idea whether it was some sort of routine periodic neighborhood check or whether it related in some way to the recent Kunming train station attack. The city has been a little jumpy in its wake.

At least it wasn't a SWAT team kicking down my door and tossing in flash-bangs as part of a mistaken-address drug raid.

At least it wasn't a SWAT team kicking down my door and tossing in flash-bangs as part of a mistaken-address drug raid.

They only do this in deaf education to force teachers of the auditory impaired to comply with and submit to proper paperwork protocols.

Surely you got nice language practice and practical application of your language skills in this educational scenario. 

• New Members

It is long since I decided to go to live to China, and Kunming was one of my main preferences. News like that terrible train station attack was not enough to prevent me from going there but, anyway, it does not make me feel very comfortable.

Maybe what you explain here, even though a little bit annoying for you, makes people feel a little safer.

I always heard that Kunming is a quiet city, with a low level of crime. Is it really like it?

A big hug from Barcelona,

Gerard

I lived in Shanghai for many years and never had this happen, but about a year ago I moved to Suzhou and a few months in I had a similar situation happen to me. Two policemen showed up at my door, and they told me they were checking the legality of people living here. I showed them my papers, they wrote down a bunch of information and were on their way.

#3 -- Meng Lelan --

Surely you got nice language practice and practical application of your language skills in this educational scenario.

They immediately exchanged nervous, "what do we do now?" glances when they saw my white face. It would have been pretty awkward, and probably more complicated, if I had not been able to converse with them in Chinese.

#4 -- Gerard --

I always heard that Kunming is a quiet city, with a low level of crime. Is it really like it?

Kunming seems safe enough, though I don't really know, statistically. What I do know is that there are some bad pockets which have high rates of crime. One local friend is a police officer with 10 or 12 years experience and he made me aware of some of those places back when I was house hunting. They are called 市中村, which as I understand it means a "small village within the city." Most residents of those places all came from the same mountain or valley originally, all speak the same dialect, and are very close knit. Outsider are decidedly unwelcome.

But fortunately I don't live in one of those spots. My small apartment complex is comprised of old buildings, six-story red brick walk-ups, with stable tenants, lots of them older. The elderly night watchman 看门人  locks the gate every night at eleven. In the daytime, people make the rounds on their three-wheel bicycle carts shouting loudly to solicit broken furniture and appliances 收废品 or offering to sharpen your knives 磨刀。It has taken a while to be able to understand what they are saying. 

It's not unheard of in Beijing, although the purpose is rooting out illegal residents - with a focus on 外地 rather than 老外. I'd guess locals (true locals) support it, given their regular griping about the other groups... can't say if that's true in Beijing.

Wouldn't happen in nicer complexes, which is perhaps why some have never seen it in Shanghai (assuming you lived well there!).

Wouldn't happen in nicer complexes, which is perhaps why some have never seen it in Shanghai (assuming you lived well there!).

My Kunming digs, though comfortable enough, are not very flash or upscale.

post-20301-0-09302500-1394937031_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-41945900-1394937048_thumb.jpg

My Kunming digs, though comfortable enough, are not very flash or upscale.

IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1357.JPG

Looks a lot like my old place here in Zhengzhou my roommate and I were the only white people, and actually the only people who weren't retired school teachers or their family.

The story reminds me of a time when my company called me up out of the blue and told me I needed to meet them at the police station. A very kind 警察叔叔 then followed us back to our little apartment, talked to some of the neighbors, took down my document numbers, and left. Never heard another peep from anyone on what it was about. Suppose that's a good thing.

I don't know how China works, legally, so I do not know what to think of two policemen coming unaided to a door and asking for papers. I do know what to think of police, or, more accurately, human beings acting as police, and abcdefg probably met some very intelligent police. It sounds like they did a quick character check, face to face.

@Gerard

Kunming, like most of China is pretty safe. The chance of another terrorist attack is very very low (it didn't really make much sense that it happened there in the first place) and the chances that you would be there at that time are so small that I would be more worried about being hit on the head by a coconut.

Whatever your reasons are to go or not go to Kunming (or anywhere in China really) safety concerns should not really play any major part in that consideration.

About ten minutes ago, at the corner of Avenida Del Sol and Calle Herculo in Tucson, Arizona, USA, some jilted wazoo shot his ex-girlfriend's current boyfriend in the street. I heard the arguing, the shots and the screams, and I walked out into the street with one of my family member's .357 magnum. The jilted gentleman was shouting loud, angry obscenities at the lady who was kneeling over her shot boyfriend. I stayed cool. I wasn't going to rush in or start shooting if no further violence ensued. The shooter then sped off in his truck. I returned the gun to my family member and we called the police (I am not legally allowed to carry a gun as an ex-felon unless it fits the affirmative defense of protecting one's self or others from imminent harm, and that circumstance was met).

I think our world is just getting generally more dangerous, even in Kunming.

@icebear - In theory that makes sense, but not always true.  I lived in nice places in Shanghai, and I live in an even nicer complex in Suzhou where the police came to my door.  The Chinese that live here seem pretty well-off, and other than Chinese there are a few other white faces and quite a few more Japanese.  Seems they were not looking for illegal local 外地 because the I'd think the chances are low that they'd be living in this complex...  But who knows for sure.  In any case they were two young guys who were really polite and did the job as fast as possible so not to bother me.  I think it's just a thing that happens in China from time to time, and it may be that certain districts or neighborhoods issue crack downs from time to time.

Funny story...

Years ago we had a teacher come through our school. The teacher was placed in an apartment near his home branch (as most teachers are). His apartment was in a standard Chinese apartment block.

For some odd reason, this teacher's apartment key also managed to open other people's front doors. On perhaps his second or third day here, he mistakenly went up one or two extra floors and opened "his" front door. He was surprised to see a Chinese family--in their underwear--walking around in his apartment. He quickly closed the door and then realized he had managed to enter the wrong apartment (with *his* apartment key).

He ran down to his apartment, closed the door, and tried to forget about the issue.... Until his front door was kicked in by Chinese police and he was arrested for espionage. The charges alleged against him were that he was a foreign national who had procured "skeleton keys" for normal Chinese citizens' homes. He sneaked into homes and spied on everyday people, reporting his findings back to his home country.

We eventually got it sorted out, and the charges were dropped.

What astounded me about this event was not that his apartment key managed to open other peoples apartments, but that the police actually arrested and attempted to charge him for spying.

• Like 3

We get a police visit about once a year, identical to abcdefg's but without the police coming into our home, just asking if there have been any changes to the residents of our apartment, update passport numbers, etc. Actually we're on pretty good terms with the guy who does it, since he's also the gentleman to who we pay our rental tax.