Chinese-Forums

warfarin

johneeeyyy1980

• New Members

I'm moving to Beijing in about 5 months and was hoping some of you could help me out with some questions about a presciption medication.  I take warfarin as a preventive measure against developing blood clots.  Is it difiicult to find a reliable source of this med or should I try and have in mail ordered from the U.S?

Thanks

I was at Parkway Health this morning (www.parkwayhealth.cn) in Shanghai. They also have a branch in Beijing. They have warfarin 2.5 mg. For further questions, you can contact them by mail: enquiry@parkwayhealth.cn. If they have it, then also other western hospitals will have it, as nobody is importing just only for Parkway. But they sell it only on prescription, so you have to see a doctor first. Medicine is about same price as in Europe (don't know US), but consultation is expensive. Make sure, your medical insurance is covering this.

On the way back, I also asked in the Chinese Pharmacy next to my home, they didn't know it.

Be careful with mail orders. This might be stopped at customs, as food, medicine and other natural products are under import restrictions.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Bring the five-month supply in your suitcase.

Warfarin is a medication that sometimes varies slightly brand to brand. Don't change brands unless you must.

Additionally, you will need to arrange to have occasional blood tests in Beijing for possible dosage adjustments.

I have no idea about brands and things, but I can say that Warfarin is widely available here. Also, if you go to one of the regular local hospitals, you can get a consultation for about 15 yuan or less even. Don't bother going to the international hospitals unless you have to.

• New Members

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.

Right now I'm leaning towards switching from warfarin to xarelto becuase it doesn't require blood tests on the regular.  I will bring a large supply over with me but I will be there at least one year, hopefully longer.  I would prefer to have the meds shipped over to me but I've noticed mixed repsonse about the viability of getting them meds through in the mail.  Does anyone have experiance recieving medications from abroad in China?

My ideal situation would be to get this handled entirely in country as I will have insurance while I'm there.  The prospect of navigating the Chinese healthcare system does seem a little daunting to me right now, I hardly have a handle on the system in the US!