Chinese-Forums

Needed?

杰声

Am trying to write an essay and don't know the character for needed (need?) or how to use it grammatically.

中国的学生 (needed) 又教育。

I think the rest of the sentance makes sense.. It's a piece on the cultural revolution (so please don't take offense as it's out fo context) and I'm trying to say that Chinese students needed to be re-educated. Not sure if 又教育 is the correct way of saying it but my vocab is still pretty limited ^_^

Check Adsotrans for this sort of thing. It's a communal database for a reason, after all, and if something is missing it only takes a minute to add it. Turns out that there is already an entry for "reeducation through labour" easily searchable by typing "reducation" in the english field surrounded by the wildcards (%).

劳动教养

http://www.adsotrans.com/adso/uniedit.pl?word=&show_flag=on&search_english=%25reeducation%25&show_english=on&search_flag=&show_pinyin=on&search_pinyin=

That being said, a better option might be 中国学生需要下乡... which replaces "reducation through labour" with the notion of students being "sent down to the countryside". This is the more common way to refer to the experiences of urban students sent to the countryside during the Cultural Revolution.