Chinese-Forums

Online Chinese dictionary php script

ala

I am looking for a collaborative (open to public editors) Chinese<-->English dictionary php script that is completely clickable and searchable for a Wu Chinese online dictionary. Searching for one character will take me to a list of compound characters that contain the character (a short summary of the single charcter would be nice too), this list would have the pinyin pronunciation and definition beside it. One can also search the whole word, the English definition and even the pinyin.

Something very similar to CantoDICT on Adam Sheik's site:

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordlist.htm

If anyone can give me some pointers on how to write a similar script, I would really appreciate it. I have some knowledge of php and mysql, but not enough to start from scratch. Thank you.

:evil:

Typed a nice long answer and my browser ate it . . .

I think the HSK wordlists (here, but glitchy after the server move) have most of the functionality you are looking for, and I can see how the rest could be implemented fairly easily. The tricky bit might be making every character clickable - I can see how that could happen for every letter in an alphabetic word, but not sure if the same principle could be applied to every character in a word. Will be possible one way or another.

It's something I might be interested in helping put together, as it would be useful for the HSK wordlists. However, there are a number of more skilled users of PHP on here.

Just had a look at Adam's dictionary - very nice set up indeed.

Roddy