Chinese-Forums

chinese girls and their periods

Saxondale

Makes you wonder what kind of everyday things you say/do which astonish and appall Chinese people. I once had a delegation of students approach me to ask if I was sure it was sensible to put my backpack on the floor.

I once made the mistake of counting money on a friend of mine's bed. The look I was given was priceless. In China money is considered the dirtiest thing in the world (which makes sense). In Australia our money is plastic and seems relatively clean so we don't really pay that much attention to it.

• Like 1

@realmayo, have you not seen how Chinese people treat their streets? One shouldn't wear shoes they wear walking around outside indoors for similar reasons to why one shouldn't leave ones backpack on the floor, there's all sorts of nasty things that are on the ground there. Far more so than the relatively benign substances that are on streets in the developed world. At some point the government will probably step in and start writing fines for eliminating on the streets, but until then, I'd recommend against putting things that you want to wear on the floor.

One of the things I noticed about China was that it was often times best to just go along with their customs because it proved impossible to ever figure out which customs were just customs and which ones were necessary for survival. I never found any Chinese people that would tell me, but the main reason they don't drink cold water unless it's in a bottle is that it greatly reduces the likelihood of being served contaminated water. Steaming tea is much more likely to be safe to drink than tea that's luke warm.

But, I was mostly in smaller towns, so this might not really apply in larger towns or ones with a more educated populace.

• 3 weeks later...

In my flat share, I think I noticed that Chinese girls, mainland and Taiwan alike, are much more casual about their period than I can sometimes appreciate, and I'm a girl with the same issues, but still... And my much-loved Chinese guy flat mate likes to inform me which foods or circumstances give him 拉肚子 or constipation, and what he does about it.

One Taiwanese girl was grossed out when I used one of our human teaspoons to put cat food from a can into my cat's dish, so I thought I had learnt an important cultural difference, separate pet and human equipment. But my guy flat mate takes the cat's food bowls, washes them up with "our" sponge, and stocks them between our human food bowls.

One Taiwanese girl was grossed out when I used one of our human teaspoons to put cat food from a can into my cat's dish, so I thought I had learnt an important cultural difference, separate pet and human equipment. But my guy flat mate takes the cat's food bowls, washes them up with "our" sponge, and stocks them between our human food bowls.

That might be a personal rather than a cultural distinction, no? I can easily see myself wash and reuse a cat's bowl (I have, actually), but many people from my same cultural background would also keep a special spoon for the cat.
  • Like 1