Chinese-Forums

Canadian Guitarist Moving to Beijing

Boninsongs

Hey guys my work offered me a position in Beijing and I accepted. I have spent a few months learning Mandarin but my knowledge is limited. I would like to post an ad in a Beijing classified about looking to join or form a band. I am a musician and I think this will be a good opportunity to meet and jam with new people. What do you think is the best place to post an ad? Also could anyone translate my ad?

I'm a 28 year old guitarist who just moved to Hong Kong from Canada and I am looking to join or form a band. I mostly play jazzy indie rock but have played in hard rock and metal bands. I have some university level jazz and blues experience. You can hear me in the link below

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jtHuF66rA

Thanks again!

Are you in Beijing now? It might be more effective to go to shows and talk to musicians directly. There are quite a number of rock clubs like MAO and 愚公移山 in Beijing.

You can also post on Douban groups for Beijing. You can post in English. People should be able understand written English if they can't speak it that well.

See here http://www.douban.com/group/B.U.M./#!/i!/ckDefault

I don't think translating your ad is probably going to be much use - if your Chinese isn't up to translating it yourself, I'd imagine you'd only want to get involved in bands where the other members can speak English anyway. Luckily, many such bands exist in Beijing. My own musical skills aren't really up to joining a band, but I'd second the advice above about going to shows and making friends - there will often be a decent number of musicians in the audience. Mao and 愚公移山 as mentioned above are good venues, as are Temple Bar and Dos Kolegas/两个好朋友.

• Like 1