Chinese-Forums

Problems with NJStar and Mozilla viewing Chinese

miranets

Hi guys. Please help me with a problem!!

I use Mozilla on Windows XP and I am also using NJStar to view Chinese in the browser.

I can view a majority of the characters when the setting in NJStar is on Chinese Auto Simplified. But there are either a few characters that come up as symbols or the entire site is still undecoded.

I have tried playing around with the encoding in Mozilla itself, like setting it as Unicode and Western.

Some of the sites work OK with Western setting, but still not all characters show up. And some sites decode some in Unicode.

I've probably got this all wrong here, but any tips on what settings I have wrong?

Or is it an actual language pack that I'll have to install from my XP cd again???

Miranets,

Since this post seems right on topic.... have you considered using Adso, the open source Chinese annotation and translation engine? It seems like what you're trying to do is get help reading electronic Chinese text, which is exactly what the software is designed to do.

http://www.adsotrans.com

http://www.newsinchinese.com

As long as you don't need the word processing features built into Wenlin, Adso has some real advantages. The first is that you can use it directly through Mozilla. To get a full webpage annotation or translation go to the "members" page on the main site (free) and type in the URL of the document to process. When accessed from my laptop in Beijing, a standard Xinhua news article takes about 12 seconds to process when run at "average" quality.

If you get lag-times using the Beijing server from abroad, you can download the entire application and use it locally. Set up in conjunction with a local Apache install and the software even provides something very close to your own private translation engine.

I can't find the statistics for Wenlin, but we have over 138,000 entries in our dictionary, many classified by part of speech. Since we grow as users contribute data, helping development is as easy as noticing words that the dictionary doesn't recognize and adding them through a quick online form (our curators take care of the rest). We are linked to multiple learning projects, so you can also feel good about yourself -- any material you add/edit radiates out to benefit a large number of free learning-oriented projects. And its always nice when you add a word and see the software start to recognize it immediately. We also incorporate ontological tagging right into the dictionary, so you can create your own (arbitrary) groups of words for use with flashcard systems, etc..

Check it out anyway. Works much better in CSS-compliant Mozilla and Firefox than IE at present, so you'll get cool highlights on mouseover if you use the browser.

祝好,

--david

p.s. if you were looking for diagnostics of Wenline, I imagine the problem you are having is that some webpages that are ostensibly GB2312 start using characters in the GB18030 character set. If this happens to us, we can solve the problem (permanently) for that character if users forward a copy of text which does not annotate properly. With Wenlin, your best bet it to write the support department.