Chinese-Forums

Reading Cursive

liao

I was wondering how those of you who can read cursive (for example cao shu 草書) learned to do so. I can read printed characters and my friends' handwriting (if they write neatly) but that's about it. I'm often in the awkward position of going out with non-Chinese speaking friends at a restaurant and being asked to read the inscription on painting decorating the place.

I know there are dictionaries of script forms, but am not sure if this is the best way. (I thought of this because I just saw an interesting program that teaches the reading of calligraphic variants of hiragana and thought I should make an effort with reading Chinese calligraphy).

Thanks.

I was wondering how those of you who can read cursive (for example cao shu 草書) learned to do so. I can read printed characters and my friends' handwriting (if they write neatly) but that's about it. I'm often in the awkward position of going out with non-Chinese speaking friends at a restaurant and being asked to read the inscription on painting decorating the place.

I know there are dictionaries of script forms' date=' but am not sure if this is the best way. (I thought of this because I just saw an interesting program that teaches the reading of calligraphic variants of hiragana and thought I should make an effort with reading Chinese calligraphy).

Thanks.[/quote']

Obviously, your Chinese has to be good enough to read bad handwriting. There's no special knack to that I think, just the usual grinding at the language will take you there. Also you would need to study the particular different cursive symbols, I've seen a number of books. Can't really do it myself - and like all poor Chinese readers I am also constantly frustrated by the really difficult stuff people always want us to translate!

• 3 months later...
  • 13 years later...

I thought finding some Chinese penpals to exchange handwritten letters would be a fun way to practice reading cursive Chinese, so I rented a PO box at my local post office and reached out to dozens of people on Penpal World and HelloTalk. Months later, however, I have only received three handwritten letters.

Can anybody recommend resources for practicing this skill?

• Like 1