Chinese-Forums

So if there was a new forum

roddy

I'm looking at setting up a site so that I can test some new forum software (Xenforo, which you may know from Pleco's support forums. Mike's almost as enthusiastic about it as you all are about Pleco). But to give it a proper test it needs members, and maybe an few admin / mod folk. If people are using it, there's no reason it couldn't continue running. 

If that happens - any idea on a topic or theme? It'd need to be something that would appeal to people on here, but not be a complete overlap. "Chinese-forums2.com" isnt' going to work, but something more general on language learning might. I've also had a couple of interesting conversations with people lately about a forum on Chinese news / current affairs (could be a nightmare to moderate). That overlaps with our news forum, but I don't see that as 'core business' for us. Ideas?

No promises, think of it as a thought experiment...if it does happen I'd be halfway serious about it - would be blowing US$140 on the license for a start...

While I understand you want to try out potentially great new software, it's possible that you're putting the cart before the horse here (or perhaps it's a 'if you build it they will come' thing), and there's also the risk that you end up cannibalising Chinese-forums. You mentioned in one of the 'making the forums better' posts that very succesful forums over time split up in smaller forums; is that the aim here, and if so, would it perhaps be better to wait for the demand instead of potentially ending up with two rather quiet forums?

If it's about testing, perhaps you could ask the admins of an existing forum with that software to have a look in their kitchen? If it's as great as you hope, you can always just move Chinese-forums there altogether. (Unless it's more complicated than that; I know next to nothing about forum management.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might be nice to enable some more actual learning of Chinese. Self help groups dedicated to certain things such as calligraphy, speech, reading etc.Not just chatting about it but actually doing it.

i would love to take part (or even lead) in a group concentrating on writing characters (not necessarily to calligraphy standards but close).I don't mean I would teach, more like point people to relevant information and structure "lessons" (i use the word lessons very loosely) and above all encourage people.

It would be good to be able to chat to other members via skype or something, with some thing like a forum in the middle to help newbies and stop problems becoming difficult.

The short story reading group here is sort of what I mean but more structured and academic. I am not expecting "Chinese lessons for free" but like minded people sharing and helping.

I enjoy Chinese forums as it here but if there is a Chinese forums 2 then this is what would be on my wish list.