Chinese-Forums

stayed in china for 3 yrs. still possible to get F or L visa?

victor557

I've been in china around 3 years mainly F visas, and most recently a Z visa. My z-visa (or more accurately, residence permit) will expire soon and will not be renewed (I quit my job).

From what I have read on this forum, it appears that because of my visa history (been in china for the majority of the past 3 years), I have very little chance of getting a 6 month (or more) F or L visa, even if I apply from my home country - I presume they would say "you are living in china! you should get a job and apply for a work permit!". Is this really the case?

Or are there still people out there, who have lived in China for many years and are still able to get new F or L visas? In times gone by, one could just go to foreverbright trading in HK, pay some cash and it was a sure thing, but since late last year agencies such as foreverbright trading no longer seem to have the magic. Another option, in the past, was to go back to one's home country, and it was easy to get a 12 month multientry L visa, but from what I've heard this has also changed and each application is carefully scrutinized (they want invitation letters, flight tickets, accommodation bookings etc.)

So what I'm asking is this: 1. Are there still long-term visitors who are getting new F or L visas? And if so, how?

I am trying to plan my future right now, so any advice would be appreciated.

So what I'm asking is this: 1. Are there still long-term visitors who are getting new F or L visas? And if so, how?

Yes. Shenzhen and HK visa agents can still arrange 1 year F visas (or are those M now?), although only with 60 or 90 days per entry. Cost is around CNY 6000. Know someone that got one a few months ago - he's been free lancing in China for almost a decade.

• Like 1

I suppose the answer might depend somewhat on your country of origin. I'm American and am on my 8th or 9th year of L visas. But last year I held my breath hoping it would come through, and this year I will be even more anxious.

• 3 weeks later...

You could also become a student, 4500+ for 6 months and you get classes.

I'm currently opening a business, if it fails to be complete by the time my residence permit expires, I'll just become a student again.

which kind of visa you can get at home will depend on a lot of factors.

However, to answer your question here first: Yes, even as a long term resident with many previous visas you can apply (and have a chance of getting) for L and F visas in your home country, according to our experience. It seems even than in some embassies for some visas they even prefer applicants who already have previous China visas.

PS: please make sure you report back here (hopefully with a success story), so everyone can learn.