Chinese-Forums

Defining moments

abcdefg

...the other thing is middle aged / elderly men in the park at 12 noon dancing to techno/house music. I would go to the park for a stroll in Yinchuan and this would always get me. I can see the appeal generally of doing some line dancing, ballroom dancing etc together. I just can't get the techno dancing. There was this one guy who always used to wear a white vest and big black sun glasses. Man, he would really go for it. I only ever saw one women there dancing.

I kind of miss this now i'm in Beijing. I only ever see Tai Chi and "regular" dancing (line, ballroom, etc).

• Like 2

I agree about those public kiddie dumps. 

Are they still doing this? Back in the 1980s I was taking the stairs in a big huge shopping mall in Tianjin and this being a weekend the place was packed even the stairs. There was a 10 year old boy urinating into a huge plant pot in the stairwell oblivious to crowds going up and down the stairs. 

At least he was peeing in a plant. A while ago I saw a father helping his little son pee at the foot of the escalator at a Beijing metro entrance. A growing puddle of pee was covering the floor. Both gross and dangerous because slippery.

@Steingletscher -- Since it looks from your post as though your China experience has all been on the mainland, how come you use 繁体字 when writing. Did I miss a Taiwan or Hong Kong phase?

Another moment didn't actually happen in China. When I was traveling in Burma during last winter, after encountering squatting toilets for the first time in there, I immediately felt more at home and help put to rest the culture shock Burma brought upon me. Made me realize how much China had become home to me.

A few years ago I moved into an old apartment in Kunming which has a squat toilet. I remember at first how it took some getting used to. Today I don't even think about it; my definitions of what is "normal" have gradually changed.

Since it looks from your post as though your China experience has all been on the mainland, how come you use 繁体字 when writing. Did I miss a Taiwan or Hong Kong phase?

I still haven't been to either of those two places yet, but do plan to next winter break. I taught myself 繁體字 because it is prettier, and has a more ancient feel to them. Just a personal preference as I am perfectly comfortable reading and writing both by hand. Also, I've watched a lot of shows that use 繁體字 in the subtitles, so I'm slowly getting used to the differences between some of the characters that are in 简体字 the same.