Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

Thanks ShuoShuo@

i made more than one CSC accounts using single email ID, so are those forms acceptable, 

or i will have to use separate email ID for each CSC accounts?

Infact i am applying directly to the universities as our country's Chinese embassy is not accepting applications.

So, if I'm applying directly to a University and having them apply for a Government Scholarship on my behalf (I believe this is the best way of understanding the process, please correct me if I'm wrong), how important is it that all of my documents are 'notarised'?  I'm having my medical check done this week at the entry-exit medical place in the city I live in so that will be fully 100% Chinese Government endorsed.  None of my other documents will be notarised though.  I have my original highest degree certificate and transcript and scanned copies of lower degree certificate and transcript.  My recommendation letters are electronic copies that professors have sent to me.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this situation?  I'm applying to study history while my background is in Chemistry so I get the feeling my application might be a longshot anyway.  But I'd still rather get rejected because they didn't like my application rather than because I didn't get the right red stamps.

I've read kdavid's study plan that he used in his application and it was a big help.  I've also read a lot of other comments about the purpose of the study plan and what kind of things you should include.  What I think would be really helpful is comments from someone who has written their study plan in Chinese.  In fact, just seeing a Chinese language version would be a massive help.  I've spoken to someone at the university I want to apply to and they said that as I'm applying for a program instructed in Chinese I should a much as possible try to write the study plan in Chinese.  While my Chinese will probably be good enough to thrash something out, I've never 'formally' studied Chinese so don't know much about 'formal' writing.  I mean, there are people I can ask to check it over for me, and I will do that, but I'd rather quickly have a look at what it's supposed to be like before making a fool of myself.

@Emmanuel - thank you for the links. I will read the articles now. :)

Edit: Okay, I've read the articles. They said it's from Sept 2014, but I have been receiving the 'old' amount so let's hope they back-pay us. Haha.

@adn223 - Have you received any pre-admissions notices?

@ adn223 Friend, you still have enough time to try to get pre-admission letter. :)  remember that any acceptance letter from professor/s doesn`t obligate the CSC. Are you expecting pre-admission letter from any university? 

Does getting acceptance letters from professors refer to getting recommendation letters from professors? Are you planning to enclose acceptance letters from professors from Chinese universities as recommendation letters?

I have received a kind of acceptance letter from the professor and he would like to supervise me at my studies. I have asked the professor (my future supervisor) for recommendation letter. In the same time I have asked the university for pre-admission letter.

@ somethingfunny Don`t send any original of the documents because the application material won`t be returned. You have to send notarized copies of degree and transcripts+notarized translation of the same (if the documents are in language/s other than English/Chinese) in duplicate. Don`t copy notarized documents. You have to get two notarized copies of degree and transcripts and notarized translation of the same in duplicate. 

Electronic copies of recommendation letters are acceptable. I`ve been informed from my friend that she sent electronic copies of recommendation letters last year. Still I am wondering whether to send electronic copies of recommendation letters.   

I've read kdavid's study plan that he used in his application and it was a big help.  I've also read a lot of other comments about the purpose of the study plan and what kind of things you should include.  What I think would be really helpful is comments from someone who has written their study plan in Chinese.  In fact, just seeing a Chinese language version would be a massive help.  I've spoken to someone at the university I want to apply to and they said that as I'm applying for a program instructed in Chinese I should a much as possible try to write the study plan in Chinese.  While my Chinese will probably be good enough to thrash something out, I've never 'formally' studied Chinese so don't know much about 'formal' writing.  I mean, there are people I can ask to check it over for me, and I will do that, but I'd rather quickly have a look at what it's supposed to be like before making a fool of myself.

Nihao somethingfunny,

I am writing a study plan in chinese too! It seems like it would look like kdavid's plan, but in Chinese, and maybe not quite as long (maybe above 800 characters) with a title like "somethingfunny's Chinese scholarship plan", etc. And you can include quotes in the end if you want (Chinese quotes are cool). Just make sure your chinese friends look at it, and you could ask them if that's how they would write it.

i'm not a genius though, i'm applying just like you. i hope we can both get the scholarship ! :)

adn223 - Are you applying for Masters or Bachelors? I'm sorry, I can't remember if you told me before. Please don't make the same mistake as last year. You need a very strong recommendation from an agency (the agency is the one with the authority to send the application documents to CSC in Beijing). You need to obtain a pre-admissions notice from the university or universities of your choice. That is the first step. So before doing anything else right now, you need to get the pre-admissions (with the official red seal from the university).

To everyone applying this year: please understand that there are only 2 documents you need if you want to guarantee the scholarship (bachelors degree):

1- the award letter (from your country's Chinese embassy)

2- pre-admissions notice (from the university you want to be enrolled into)

If you are able to obtain these 2 documents, your scholarship is guaranteed. Remember that the application for the scholarship is not the same thing as applying to the university. So the CSC only looks at these important documents, while the university looks at your certificates. Hence, even if the university accepts you, you are not guaranteed the scholarship. But if you get the scholarship and not the university that you want, CSC will allocate another university (of their choice) to place you. So in terms of priority, please try your best to obtain the 2 documents I have mentioned.

Xiaowei M - Last year, 100% of my documents were sent electronically to the dispatching authority. :D I was in China but I had to apply to my country, so I just sent everything via email and somehow, they were accepted. I think it's best to apply with the hardcopies of the documents, but for those with no other options, the electronic version might be accepted (although I personally do not recommend it).

Hi Shuoshuo,

thank you so much! I am having a lot of trouble contacting my embassy (canberra), the guy is away so i have no information as yet. What is this awards letter? from what i have been told i just needed an agency number?

Also, how do i get an admissions notice? Do i just email the university, or i have to go through their application process? Many of the courses seem to have a registration deadline (eg. end of feb) that is before the CSC application deadline (end of april, i think). I am guessing that if i apply for the scholarship without applying to the university first there is no way i will be able to get into that course.

Thanks heaps

@ Guys,

First I would like to apologise for late response I have been working on my paper.

shuoshuo, Thanks for the responses and information.

@Xiaowei M, have you finally sent your application?

As for the number of documents, there is no hard rule like @shuoshuo said. I would like to also add that the number of documents you have is not a guarantee either.  I only sent 9 documents when I was applying.  Send the documents you have and start your prayers.

The competition might be stiffer now considering the fact that there is an allowance increase on the horizon.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope to see ya soon.

PS: is anyone coming to Jinan in the Shandong province?

Also, I have a copy of my study plan/research proposal, so if you are interested, you could drop me a message with your address and I will send it to you.

Peace!!!

@ mazi Thanks, dear. :) I haven`t sent the application documents yet because I am waiting for pre-admission letter from ZNUFE and Recommendation Letter from professor from ZNUFE. I have found my future supervisor at ZNUFE. Whether I get or not pre-admission letter from ZNUFE, I would like to apply separetely for master, International Law, English, 2 years, ZNUFE and master, Law (Chinese), Chinese, CUPL, 1 year language studies (because their requirement is HSK VI)+2 years of major studies. I hope it is allowed to apply separately for programs in English and Chinese, the same level of studies. :help As I have already mentioned in one of my previous posts, both Master of International Law as well as Master of Laws are in accordance with my educational background because I have BA in International Law and LL.M. (International Law) and my English/Chinese language proficiency.

Should I enclose my HSK V and HSKK Intermediate in the application for program in English language?  

@all, There is a new thread for 2015 applications.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/47670-csc-scholarship-applicationsresults-2015/

Kindly go over there and post any comment or questions you have.

I would also like to implore old timers/winners and current scholarship holders to share their experiences and help answer questions that anyone might have.

Remember, everyone has an equal chance of been accepted. 

see you at the other thread.

Peace!!!

Mazi