Chinese-Forums

Business books that appeal to a Chinese audience

Lea

• New Members

My book is being translated from English to Chinese. It is a narrative that teaches trust through the story of a business man who loses the trust of his family, business partners and peers and has to rebuild. The lessons are taught through the narrative of his journey.

Here are the suggestions of the translator:

Change the subtitle from A Leaders Lesson to A guide for People Managers (Perhaps it translates better?)

Highlight all the important points that can be used as tools (My concern is that it will break up the flow of the book)

Highlight all of the definitions and put in a text box (Is this something that is common in business books in China?)

Recap all of the learning points at the end of each chapter (Is this usually done?)

My book is along the same style as "The Monk who Sold His Ferrari" by Robin Sharma or "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Alborn.

The purpose is to improve trust in the workplace. I'm not adverse to making the changes if that is what needs to be done. I'm thinking that this is a stylized want from the translator and not a necessary change. I'd really love your opinions. What style works best for selling to a Chinese audience?

Here are the suggestions of the translator:

Change the subtitle from A Leaders Lesson to A guide for People Managers (Perhaps it translates better?)

Highlight all the important points that can be used as tools (My concern is that it will break up the flow of the book)

Highlight all of the definitions and put in a text box (Is this something that is common in business books in China?)

Recap all of the learning points at the end of each chapter (Is this usually done?)

Agree with the translator on all points. Such books are big sellers in China, and that's the way I've usually seen them laid out. Purchasers like such things because they make the book appear more useful and therefore worth the asking price. Helps the perception of the book being a necessary career-development tool, not a frivolous entertainment expense.

The target audience is mainly people trapped in dead-end, low level jobs who are looking for skills which they can use to escape and get ahead. Go from cleaning tables or flipping burgers to being assistant night manager trainee, and hopefully on up the ladder from there.