Chinese-Forums

Changing from X2 to X1 Visa While in China?

Mike1281

• New Members

Hey everyone.  My situation is that for 8 weeks from mid June to early August I'll be studying at Peking University through a study abroad organization, and then starting in September I'll be doing the academic year program at BLCU until July 2015.  Since there is only a few weeks between the two programs, I'm planning on staying in China during that time.  My concern was if it's even possible for me to make the switch from the PKU sponsored X2 visa to the BLCU sponsored X1 visa without leaving the country.  I'm prepared to do a HK visa run if I have to leave the country to make the switch, but from what I've read it seems it's HK visa runs aren't as simple as they used to be so idk if that's still even a possibility.  

I've already received the admission letter and JW-202 from BLCU, and should receive the documents from PKU soon.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

It is possible to renew from x1 into x2 (residence permit) in China. I am going to help my client so I did some homework for this. What you need is a registration form from your local police station, JW 202 from BLCU, admission letter from BLCU, a prove letter (zai xue zheng ming 在学证明) from BLCU office and 2 (or more) passport photos. You need a health exam in China, and then you can go to PSB to renew your visa in person for the first time to apply for the residence permit. Before this, you have to go to BLCU students' office for help to get all the papers.

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks for the response Laowang, do you or anyone else happen to know if I could just apply for the visa being sponsored by BLCU and use it for my entire stay?  The date's listed on it are September 2014 till July 2015, but I would be arriving in China in June.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Dear everyone,

I have a similar question to the one asked by the OP. I plan to do a four-week language course at BLCU (August 2015) and then a 12-month program at Lanzhou University in Gansu (from September 2015). I have received the appropriate documentation for the four week course at BLCU and the admissions notice etc. from Lanzhou University is coming within the next weeks. The person at the Visa Application Service Center recommended that I enter on the longer, X1 visa, but given that I'll be in different cities, I don't quite understand how I will be able to register (in Lanzhou) within the 30-period required, as I'll still be in Beijing.

Any and all help would be appreciated - ideally by people who experienced this before. What was your experience, Mike1281?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hey guys,

To my understanding, JW202 from public universities are stamped/approved by the government. How about a JW202 from a private language school, does it have to go through the government or they have the power to issue students one without the approval of the government? Thanks!