Chinese-Forums

PDA user-created dictionaries

in_lab

Has anyone used software to create dictionaries for Palm PDAs?

I tried KDIC, which was ok. My complaints are that it takes too long to start the software in DA mode, and its window is too small, and the interface could be improved.

I tried RoadLingua. It works great for English to English, but the dictionaries that I tried to create in Chinese were missing headwords. Big5 doesn't work well. The company seems to offer no support.

Ideally, I will be able to create dictionaries in Plecodict. But who knows how long it will be until they actually implement that feature.

Any other suggestions for creating dictionaries?

What I noticed, looking at it today, is that some of the flashcard lists I imported to Plecodict had turned up as entries in the user-defined dictionary - so one way or another, I guess it's possible to import lists. I'd be very suprised indeed if Plecodict didn't have a feature the Oxford one did.

No need to visit PlecoForums, I'll just post here :lol:

It actually is possible to create a dictionary from a text file in the current version of PlecoDict, it's just kind of slow. If you create a text file in the same format that the older MakeDict used (tab-delimited, word/pinyin/definition) and run it through the flashcard importer, you'll end up with searchable dictionary entries for all of the words in the text file. (in addition to their associated flashcards)

We're also working on a new MakeDict for PlecoDict; it should hopefully be available in some form with version 1.0, but it won't be very user-friendly, and it'll probably be Windows-only in its initial version. Eventually we'd like to add a proper GUI, formatting tags, etc, but that probably won't happen until version 1.1.