Chinese-Forums

How Much Money Would You Bring For 3 Months In China?

CookieFactory

Let's say you were visiting China (Shanghai, Beijing) for three months, how much money would YOU personally feel would be adequate for the duration of your stay if:

1) It's a vacation so there's no source of income

2) However you do not have to pay for lodging

What do you guys think?

I'd say between $500 to $800, given that you do not have to pay for lodging and also given that you have already purchased your plane ticket home. It depends how you want to live, however, and how much buying and travelling you'll be doing. I'm in Xi'an, though, and i think beijing and shanghai are more expensive than my city. A lot of my chinese friends live monthly on the equivalent of $50-$250 a month, if that helps.

Since it is a vacation, you're not going to want to stay inside all the time. You're going to want to go out and see stuff, right? Great wall, Summer Palace, whatever. Those places cost money. Do you want to do some shopping? Stock up on pirated DVDs? What about food? Eating out or dining in? Do you like to party, go out to clubs, bars? Mixed drinks can be really expensive here, and beer is a mixed bag -- sometimes cheap, sometimes ridiculous prices (think budweiser, small bottles, 30RMB each at some discos here).

Anyhow, I don't think $500 U.S. is nearly enough to really enjoy three months in China. When I first arrived in Kunming, which is way cheaper than Beijing or Shanghai, I was making 3000RMB a month, and had an apartment paid for. The 3000 was barely enough for me. Sure, many Chinese make a lot less than that, but their daily routines include eating, sleeping, and watching T.V. You also don't have a whole lot of opportunity to spend money if you're working 12 hour days, like the locals do!

If you can't get out and enjoy anything because of your budget, what's the point? China is a cheaper country than many, but it is also very easy to spend money here, especially if you're a traveller. If this is your holiday, I doubt very much you'd want to spend it the same way the chick who works at the noodle store would spend her three months. ;)

Anyhow, I'd take $1000 U.S. at the least, probably more like $1500 to be on the safe side. You don't have to live like a king (and $1000 or 1500 U.S. is far from a kingly budget), but you don't really want your budget to limit you too much either.

obviously, some are not as frugal as i am...when i initially came to xi'an, i brought only $200 to last two months...i had unforseen expenses and a wallet stolen, and would have still been able to make it...

also, (and my friends at home wouldn't BELIEVE it if they heard this advice from me), don't spend too much of your time or money in the clubs and bars...if you've been wasted in one place, you've been wasted in them all...drunkeness is all about 'here in my head'...you're in china; enjoy china, not getting wasted...

to be on the safe side, however, perhaps you ought to bring $1000...

enjoy enjoy!!

I'm also going to travel to China, but for 2 weeks only, and I was wondering how much cash I should bring. Do I need to have a lot on me or is it very easy to get some from an ATM/bank? We will initially be staying in Xiamen, but we plan on taking flights to a couple of other places (perhaps Beijing?).

is it very easy to get some from an ATM/bank?

That's quite easy. With a VISA or Maestro card, I have been able to get money from China's big banks (such as the Construction Bank) almost whenever needed. I did, however, once get a problem with limits (even though I hadn't used the card for over a week, I thought those limits were daily?), but after walking the equivalent of two metro stops, I finally found an "unlimited" bank... :clap

• 2 weeks later...
Do I need to have a lot on me or is it very easy to get some from an ATM/bank? We will initially be staying in Xiamen, but we plan on taking flights to a couple of other places (perhaps Beijing?).

It's certainly easy in Beijing. Particularly the centre, but two places I stayed in in Chaoyang also had usable ATMs in easy walking distance.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, A VISA credit card (or Mastercard) is an excellent choice. It's kind of what those cards are designed for. In the modern world, there are a vast array of countries in which you can withdraw money at ATMs using these. China is one of these countries now. I live in Harbin and can withdraw, no problem. If you go to a sub-2 million city, say, then I don't know, but I guess you'll find at least one place in any kind of "city". (Other opinions?)

The exchange rate is the best you can get - interbank. But there may be some charges by the bank or by your bank. Often there is no charge by the bank from which you withdraw. In any case, the convenience is priceless.