Chinese-Forums

5 to 10 mandarin songs with simple lyrics

JohnLe

Hi,

Could you please provide me a list of 5 to 10 popular mandarin songs with simple to unsderstand lyrics and clear vocal? Can I get the lyrics in characters and pinyin and hopefully I can download the songs from Amazon. I started to learn mandarin a few months ago and I think listening to music can help especially when I get tired of listening to Pimsleur tracks.

Another question, is there a mandarin version of Shanghai Bund? I like this song but I can only find it in Cantonese.

I think the simplest cute and easy Mandarin song of all times, in the whole universe and every parallel galaxy is Teresa Teng's "The moon represents my heart". It's a very famous oldie. I can't find the original on Youtube anymore, hope this source works for you wherever you are:

http://dai.ly/x6b3lk

你问我爱你有多深 Nǐ wèn wǒ ài nǐ yǒu duō shēn
我爱你有几分 Wǒ ài nǐ yǒu jǐ fēn
我的情也真  Wǒ de qíng yě zhēn
我的爱也真 Wǒ de ài yě zhēn
月亮代表我的心 Yuèliàng dàibiǎo wǒ de xīn

我爱你有几分 Wǒ ài nǐ yǒu jǐ fēn
我的情不移 Wǒ de qíng bù yí
我的爱不变 Wǒ de ài bù biàn
月亮代表我的心  Yuèliàng dàibiǎo wǒ de xīn

轻轻的一个吻  Qīng qīng de yīgè wěn
已经打动我的心  Yǐjīng dǎdòng wǒ de xīn
深深的一段情 Shēn shēn de yīduàn qíng
叫我思念到如今Jiào wǒ sīniàn dào rújīn

我爱你有几分  Wǒ ài nǐ yǒu jǐ fēn
你去想一想 Nǐ qù xiǎng yī xiǎng
你去看一看 Nǐ qù kàn yī kàn
月亮代表我的心 Yuèliàng dàibiǎo wǒ de xīn

轻轻的一个吻 Qīng qīng de yīgè wěn
已经打动我的心 Yǐjīng dǎdòng wǒ de xīn
深深的一段情 Shēn shēn de yīduàn qíng
叫我思念到如今  Jiào wǒ sīniàn dào rújīn

etc. ...

Regarding the pinyin, keep in mind that in a very few words above tone change occurs. I don't know if you are familiar with tone change already, if not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_sandhi#Mandarin_Chinese
You don't type out a tone change in pinyin, so that's why you see "一个 yīgè" but pronounce "yígè" for example.
  • Like 3

@Koxinga: that was the second Chinese song I ever learnt, after 两只老虎 (my teacher at the time was from Taiwan and recommended it). It's got a few useful expressions, but it's so damn cheesy, haha.

I second Ruben on 月亮代表我的心. Simple words, slow tempo, classic tune.

You don't need to worry about tones when you're singing, though, 99% of pop songs disregard them entirely. Songs are good for vocab acquisition (though of course that depends on the subject matter, writing style etc.), not so good for improving your tones. As such, make sure you don't fall into the trap of thinking you can ignore the tones of the new words you're learning, otherwise you're not going to be able to use them in any other contexts!

• Like 2

朋友 by 周华健 

上帝的帮助, 亲爱的你怎么不在身边, and 秘密 by 江美琪

almost anything by 万芳, but 你的世界 , 听风格 are fairly straightfoward.

征服, 什麼態度, and 你是我的人 by 那英

为爱痴狂 by 刘若英

我很丑, 可是我很温柔- 赵传

闷 by 王非

来不及 and 爱你一万年 by 伍佰

鸭子 by 苏慧伦

外面的世界 by 齊秦.  大约在冬季 by the same singer is pretty good/simple, too, but contains some classical style language. The song is short, simple, and famous enough, and the words useful enough, that I think it is worth your time to figure out the more literary words.

• Like 1

Ruben,

Thank you for your recommendation and lyrics for "The moon represents my heart". I was able to download this song from Amazon but the singer is Cynthia Lin and not Teresa Teng. Teresa Teng version is not available in MP3.

Another Teresa Teng recommendation. 

甜蜜蜜 - Your Sweet Smile / Sweet Honey Honey

Lyrics with pinyin.

Amazon version (U.S. amazon store).

Simple lyrics. Slow delivery. 

---

Searching the amazon store with the title of the song in pinyin (without tone marks) usually works better than searching for the English translation.

Teresa Teng version of the moon represents my heart on amazon. 

• Like 2

Koxinga,

Wow, I actually can read the whole title in chinese characters:

Can you check this link to see if these singers are any good? They seem to be westerners and I don't know if their pronunciation are good enough?

http://www.amazon.com/Sorry-My-Chinese-Isnt-Good/dp/B00I3USA5Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1401896978&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=sorry+my+chinese+is+no+good

In the Youtube link, their pronunciation is not that great. Not bad either, but it sounds foreign to me. If you're going to listen to Chinese music, might as well listen to actual Chinese music, that also gives you a bit of cultural background. Teresa Teng is a good choice, she has beautiful pronunciation.

Ugh. In my opinion, Teresa Teng is like the Chinese Barry Manilow.  

Meaning, she may be a good singer, but her songs are so dated and cheesy sounding that I can't stand listening to her for more than a few seconds.

Still, she's a musical icon in China, so I can't deny one should at least be familiar with her.

周華健 

朋友
這些年 一個人
風也過 雨也走
有過淚 有過錯
還記得堅持甚麼
真愛過 才會懂
會寂寞 會回首
終有夢 終有你 在心中
朋友 一生一起走
那些日子 不再有
一句話 一輩子
一生情 一杯酒
朋友 不曾孤單過
一聲朋友 你會懂
還有傷 還有痛
還要走 還有我

這些年 一個人
風也過 雨也走
有過淚 有過錯
還記得堅持甚麼
真愛過 才會懂
會寂寞 會回首
終有夢 終有你 在心中
朋友 一生一起走
那些日子 不再有
一句話 一輩子

一生情 一杯酒
朋友 不曾孤單過
一聲朋友 你會懂
還有傷 還有痛
還要走 還有我
朋友 一生一起走
那些日子 不再有
一句話 一輩子
一生情 一杯酒
朋友 不曾孤單過
一聲朋友 你會懂
還有傷 還有痛
還要走 還有我
朋友 一生一起走
那些日子 不再有
一句話 一輩子
一生情 一杯酒
朋友 不曾孤單過
一聲朋友 你會懂
還有傷 還有痛
還要走 還有我
一句話 一輩子
一生情 一杯酒
  • Like 1

In the Youtube link, their pronunciation is not that great. Not bad either, but it sounds foreign to me.

I always assumed that was just their 台湾腔, but I guess if you notice it too it must be 英国腔 :D

张震岳 has a couple of fairly easy ones (he certainly has 台湾腔 though). 《爱我别走》 is easy and very popular. 《再见》 is also fairly easy.

• Like 1

I always assumed that was just their 台湾腔, but I guess if you notice it too it must be 英国腔

Hm, perhaps 英文腔 on top of their Taiwanese accent? Not sure. The painfully inane lyrics are not helping, I seriously can't listen to more than half of that song.

Of 张震岳 I really like 不再认输. But yes, he certainly has an accent.

• Like 1

Ugh.

:lol:   well if you can recommend me the Chinese Nick Cave or Johnny Cash, I'd be forever grateful! But I guess that would be a different topic.

Back to the simple lyrics, I was just reminded of this one, a bit more contemporary than Teresa Teng, slowly and clearly sung.

侃侃   Dīdā by Kǎnkǎn

http://youtu.be/mCMS6I6MsiM

While I'm at it, a question to everyone, I don't get the sentence (4th stanza) with rain and 水花. What is the rain doing there? Patting the algae? Or ist it just a way of saying the rain splashes?

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  Dídā dídā dídā dídā

时针它不停在转动  Shízhēn tā bù tíng zài zhuǎndòng

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  Dídā dídā ...

小雨她拍打着水花  Xiǎoyǔ tā pāidǎzhe shuǐhuā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  Dídā... 

是不是还会牵挂他  Shì bù shì hái huì qiānguà tā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  ...

有几滴眼泪已落下  Yǒu jǐ dī yǎnlèi yǐ luòxià

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒   ...

寂寞的夜和谁说话  Jìmò de yè hé shuí shuōhuà

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒   ...

伤心的泪儿谁来擦  Shāngxīn de lèi er shuí lái cā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒   ...

整理好心情再出发  Zhěnglǐ hǎo xīnqíng zài chūfā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒

还会有人把你牵挂  Hái huì yǒurén bǎ nǐ qiānguà

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒   ...

寂寞的夜和谁说话  Jìmò de yè hé shuí shuōhuà

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  ...

伤心的泪儿谁来擦  Shāngxīn de lèi er shuí lái cā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒  ...

整理好心情再出发   Zhěnglǐ hǎo xīnqíng zài chūfā

嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒嘀嗒

还会有人把你牵挂  Hái huì yǒurén bǎ nǐ qiānguà

• Like 1

Also, not sure who Nick Cave is, but you could consider 伍佰 to be a Chinese equivalent to Johnny Cash, maybe. Prolific singer-songwriter-guitarist with some folk influence, sings lots of depressed or depressing songs...and every time I think of 伍佰, he seems to be wearing black in all his videos.

Yep, lots of black here:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1920&bih=1075&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%E4%BC%8D%E4%BD%B0&oq=%E4%BC%8D%E4%BD%B0&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.22455.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.chm_loc%2Chmss2%3Dfalse%2Chms2min%3D10%2Chms2max%3D10%2Chmtb%3D120%2Chmta%3D1440%2Chmrde%3D0-0%2Chmde%3D0-9...0...1..45.img..0.0.0.kkhQGqDEMIo

• Like 2

鸭子 by 苏慧伦

作詞:許常德

作曲:Ju Ju Club

看著你搭TAXI 孤單的離去

全世界只剩我在淋雨

想著你可能去誰或誰懷裡

胡鬧猜搞的我 無法呼吸 明明是....

好天氣卻感覺下雨的情緒

我和你為何都我對不起你

轉個彎到街上一個人溜冰

要自己像隻驕傲的鴨子 不要愛的鴨子